Network Reference Information
Last Update: July 3, 2004
SLAC Computer Services (SCS) | Network Group | Computer
- Physical Layer -
Cables, fibers, wireless.
- Network & Transport Layers -
ATM, Ethernet, Routing, SCI, Switches.
- Network Services -
File systems (AFS & DCE & Netware etc.),
Info retrieval tools, Management,
Quality of Service,
- Security/Privacy/Decency/Freedom of Expression
- Wide Area Networking -
Dial-up, FTS-2000, ISPs, Telecommunications, Telecommunting.
- Some Network Information Servers
- Index of Links on this Page
Use to be notified of updates
to this page.
- International Cablemakers' Federation represents 70% of
wire & cable manufacturers.
- Cat 6
how to buy the standard reference,
Comparison between Cat5, Cat5e, Cat6, Cat7 Cables,
what is this
Category (Cat5 Cat 6) wire stuff about?
- Optical Networking Consortium
provides the latest on super-speed networking and new prototypes such as a WDM test bed in
Boston. See also
The Shape of Light August 1998 for information on
Wave Division Multiplexing. See also the
SURA Optical Cookbook,
- Siemon Co.
Stockpile of Technical Papers on Cabling.
- BICSI Resource Library contains white papers
on connecting hardware, installation, field te4sting, interference ans the ISO/IEC 11081 international
premise wiring specification.
- LAN & Cabling Standards news site
run by Scope Communications.
Microsoft Windows inclusion.
- Wireless LAN Alliance,
802.11b test equipment.
- ATM Asynchronous
- Ethernet 10, 100, 1000Mbps,
auto-negotiation, Ethernet in First Mile (EFM)
IEEE 802.3ah Task Force,
and also information from
- IEEE 802 LAN/MAN
- MTUs, jumbograms etc.
- IPng Working Group
and the 6bone.
- LAN Technology Scorecard
details of all (well a huge list) networking technologies (all the Ethernets, FDDI, SONET,
ATM, u. v. a.), cable type (inc. fibre), state of standard, product availability, followed
up with a brief description of each one; then a list two ways round of which manufacturers
are supporting which protocols.
- Random Early Detection (RED) queue management.
- SCI Scalable Coherent Interface
- Stanford Local Network Admins (LNAs)
- TCP performance tuning.
benchmarks from Scott
Bradner at Harvard. Strategic
Networks Online and the Tolly
provide information on network device performance.
File systems (AFS & DCE & Netware etc.) |
Info retrieval tools | Management |
Quality of Service |
on xDSL online,
List of Internet Service Providers (ISPs)< DSL Resources page, and /a>.
PC World's list of ISPs .
Overview of the Europe DSL Sourcebook 2nd Edition - HTML Version.an Internet
by Jon Crowcroft, Autumn 1995.
sponsored by Wiltel, contains back issues of Long
Distance Digest and recent
postings to Telecom Digest, up to the minute informtaion on regulations analysis from Insight Research, working papers
from the RITIM, and areference.html glossary of terms.
Telecomm Tariffs in the US, Canada, Europe and
the Pacific Rim.
Convert time between 2 timezones
or Convert time to GMT
- Computing Security at SLAC
- Remote Access Security
- Virtual Private Networks
- Tutorial on IPSecurity
- Network Firewalls and
Firewall Q & A
- NIST's Computer Security Resource Clearinghouse
provides a variety of resources via the Web, including: network security updates; virus
information; a library of security tools; links to other resources (e.g. CERT, CIAC,
- X Security
talk given by Lionel Cons at the HEPiX meeting May-95, Prague
- ESnet Authentication Task Force: Pilot
Project Final Report and Recommendations, and Recommended Reading
- AT&T's Internet
Security FTP server, see in particular Steve Bellovin's paper
on Security Problems in the TCP/IP Security Suite and Robert Morris' paper on A
Weakness in the 4.3BSD Unix TCP/IP Software
- Secure Sockets a freely
available product that uses certificates and 40-bit RSA encryption in a layer just above
TCPIP, to provide secure internet communications.
- Collage Communications, Inc., Networking, Internet
and Information Security Expertise
- Digital Pathways a provider of security for remote
and Internet access. their page includes book summaries, an on-line newsletter, summaries
of white papers and references for articles in trade magazines, an index of frequently
asked questions, and a list of resources (including CERT) and how to get in touch with
- Security Resource Net provides accessd to
information from remote access to protecting SQL databases.
- Pretty Good Privacy (PGP)
- PGP specification, source code & binaries or the
alt.security.pgp newsgroup, a WWW Home Page, a page on Cryptography, PGP, and Your
Privacy, a FAQ and last
but not least Documentation.
- Two books on PGP are: Protect Yor Privacy by William Stallings and PGP
by Simson Garfinkel.
- The commercial software for PGP is available from ViaCrypt, 9033 N. 24th Ave., Suite 7,
Phoenix, AZ 85021 602-944-0773. Mike Johnson has a FAQ on Where to Get PGP, and there
are Instructions on how to obtain PGP
from MIT. There is also a PGP Distribution
on PGP MIME Integration.
- Cypherpunks home
page were you can find links to PGP, remailers, rants, various crypto-tools, newspaper
clippings, and a good deal of other things.
- The comp.risks newsgroup is a useful source of
information on privacy and security.
- WWW keyservers at MIT and
- ESnet PGP Public Keys Directory.
- Decency/Freedom of Expression
- Clearing House for Networked Information Discovery and Retrieval (CNIDR)
- ConneXions The Interoperability Report tracks
current and emerging standards and technologies within the computer and communications
- Electronic Publishing Network
provides down-to-earth tips
and tricks for managing your computer network.
- ESnet Information Server: network usage statistics, the ESnet Community
database: short list sorted by
last name with phone & email address, long list sorted by name with
address,phone, fax, email, committee status, long list sorted by committee, short list sorted by institution,
and the ESnet Steering Committee (ESSC)
- Data Communications Magazine's
list of the hottest Web sites for corporate networkers, ordered by technology.
- Internet Monthly Report.
- Federal Internetworking Requirements
Panel (FIRP) Report with links to GOSIP, IGOSS and GNMP reports.
- Global Network Navigator (O'Reilly Associates) GNN Discussion Forum Archives
- IBM's Networking Acivities
contains networking news, networking software & hardware, networking services and
Transactions on Networking
- IETF (Internet Engineering
Task Force) is the protocol engineering and development arm of the Internet.
- K-12 Education: Consortium for School Networking and in ASCII text and Postscript
- Internet Network Information Centers (NICs) at: NSFnet or
the RIPE NCC Network Informmation
Center for the European region, Merit, the
InterNIC's InfoGuide or its Directory and Database Services or Matrix Information and Directory Services (MIDS) with
lots of maps, graphs & charts. The Internet Society
is the International Organization for the coordination and cooperation of the Internet, The Internet Index
with statistics & facts about the Internet, and the Network
Wizards Internet Domain Survey.
- NetSizer provides statitics
on the size of the Interent.
- NSF Science & Technology Information System
- OSF/DCE Information
- Pocket Network Management
Survival Guide attempts to demystify commonly encountered network management terms
- SPEC (Standard Performance Evaluation
Corporation) was formed in 1988 to establish, maintain, and endorse a standardized set of
relevant benchmarks and metrics for performance evaluation of modern computer systems.
- Stanford University
- Telegeography, Inc. provides Internet information
in a geographic fashion. Much of the information is for sale only.
- UPTURN (Umbrella Proposal
for Telematics for Users and Research Networks) a major pan-European project in the
National Information Infrastructure (NII) vein.
You may also find the newsgroups, comp.dcom.lans.ethernet
and comp.dcom.telecom.tech to be of
interest if you are technically minded.
Thre are also a lot of computing resources available via
http://www.onlinecomputersciencedegree.com/, a Glossary of Internet terms Patrick
Crispen's Internet RoadMap
workshop with 27 progressive lessons, and the WWW Virtual Library's Networking Information page.
Ipsilon has created an IP Library with
links and information on IP standards, the IETF, IPng, news etc.
You are visitor number
since May 22nd, 1998.