A wiggler is an arrangement of magnets configured so that, when inserted into the path of a beam of particles, it affects the properties of the beam.
Suggested in 1956 by K. W. Robinson of the Harvard University Cambridge Electron Accelerator (CEA) as a way to produce synchrotron radiation, the first wiggler was built by CEA in 1966 -- but it was installed as a damping component in a beam storage system.
It wasn't until 1979, at the Stanford Synchrotron Radiation Project (SSRP -- later renamed SSRL) that a wiggler was first built and installed to be used as a synchrotron radiation source.
1978 Photo of first SSRL wiggler (front view)
Photo of original SSRL wiggler, now on permanent display outdoors at SLAC (2002)
Photo of plaque on SSRL first wiggler display.
Note: Some links on this page open pdf files, which require the free Acrobat Reader.
-- Return to top --