"Archives offer...a sense of identity, locality, history, culture, and personal and collective
Archives, History & Records Office and
Building 50 Room 122
Mail Stop 97
Ext. 3091(v) / 3329(f)
- Support Archives, History & Records Office and Research Library
- Assist in identifying, collecting and preserving the historically,
intrinsically valuable records of SLAC
- Facilitate access to and use of the records and history of SLAC
- Provide essential information services to SLAC's research programs
- Support management of the laboratory's temporary records in compliance
with government regulations
Interests and Memberships
Academy of Certified Archivists
Association for Documentary Editing
- Beta Phi Mu
Cooperation on Archives of Science in Europe
Midwest Archives Conference
- Smithsonian Institution,
Lemelson Center for the Study of Invention &
Innovation, Advisory Committee 2006 - 2010.
- National Association
of Government Archivists and
Records Administrators (NAGARA) 1992- .
- Society of
Electronic Records Section, 2002-2012
Digital Objects Roundtable, 2005-
Science, Technology and Health Care Roundtable, 1997-
- Society of
Associate Editor, Sandstone and Tile, 2001-2005.
Member, Publications Committee, 2000-.
Western Archives Institute
Site Selection Committee Chair, 2001-2002
Local Arrangements Chair, 1998-1999
Recent Presentations and Publications
Q&A:SLAC's Archivist Closes a Chapter, by
Amanda Solliday, symmetry magazine, May 1, 2018
- "The web's first "Killer App": SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory's World
Wide Web site 1991-1993." Chapter 3 in Brügger, Niels, Ed Web 25: Histories from the first
25 years of the World Wide Web. Peter Lang, New York, 2017
- "Review of Appraisal and Acquisition Strategies," Journal of Western Archives: Vol. 8 : Iss. 1 ,
- "History of SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory, 1962-2016." Banquet speech at
Annual Meeting of the American Physical Society Division of Plasma Physics, San Jose, CA November 2,
Historians at Work in the SLAC Archives: An Archivist's Perspective Presentation at the
24th International Congress of History of Science, Technology and Medicine, Manchester England, July 2013
Science Archives at SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory. Archives and Records:
The Journal of the Archives and Records Association (UK and Ireland) in press, 2013
- Case study in:
Many Happy Returns: Advocacy and the Development of Archives. Edited by Larry J Hackman,
Society of American Archivists (2011).
Management and Preservation of Scientific Records and Data, R. Arovelius et al. Section on University and
Research Institution Archives, Committee on Scientific and Research Data, International Council on Archives, December 2010
Archiving Born-Digital Records.
Presentation at the Fifth Lab History Conference, Johns Hopkins University, June 2009.
Advocacy and Outreach at the SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory Archives and History Office.
Paper presented at Future Proof V, Barcelona, May 2009.
Hybrid Paper/Electronic Archival Collecting, Processing, and Reference:
A View from SLAC. Paper presented at Future Proof IV, Stockholm, April
- Panofsky, Wolfgang K. H.
Panofsky on Physics, Politics and Peace: Pief Remembers. W. K. H. Panofsky (Author),
Jean Marie Deken (Contributing Editor). New York: Springer, 2007.
- Metadata Development for the Persistent Archives Testbed (PAT) Project: slides. SAA 2007 Metadata Roundtable, Chicago IL.
- 21ST Century Tools For Archivists: A Progress Report on Persistent Archives
at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center (SLAC):
slides. NAGARA 2007, Kansas City, MO, and at the National Archives of Brazil,
December 5, 2007 .
- Logbook: The
Blue Book. symmetry: dimensions of
particle physics, Volume 4, Issue 4, May 2007, p. 33.
- PAWN Workflow - SLAC to NARA. presentation at the National Archives and Records
Administration National Archives Assembly meeting, Getting Records from the Creator's
Desktop to the Archives: Some Experimental Results. July 28, 2006, College Park, MD.
Voices: Milestones vs. History --Looking Forward, Looking
Back: An Archivist's Perspective. symmetry: dimensions of
particle physics, Volume 3, Issue 5, June/July 2006, p. 8-9.
- Documenting the Physical Universe: Preserving the
Record of SLAC from 1962 to 2005. SLAC, March 2006.
Paper presented at Society of American Archivists' 69th
Annual Meeting 8/20/2005, New Orleans, LA.
PAT Project Lessons Learned: Archivists' Perspectives. Archival Outlook, November/December 2005.
Society of American Archivists: Chicago IL. p. 10-23.
- Future Proof for Physics: Preserving the Record of
Journal of Archival Organization V.3 No.1, 2005.
Invited talk presented at
Future proof: delivering scientific archives in the
(Co-operation on the Archives of Science),
Edinburgh, Scotland, 4/9/2003-4/11/2003.
- Archiving SLD Records in SRB: The Persistent
Archives Test-Bed (PAT) Project at SLAC in 2004. (pdf) SLAC, December 2004. Invited talk presented at
Future Proof II, Munich, DE, April 20-22,2005.
- Preserving Digital Libraries: Determining "What?"
Before Deciding "How?". Co-Published simultaneously in
Science & Technology Libraries V.25 No. 1/2, 2004, pp.
227-241 and: Emerging Issues in the Electronic
Environment: Challenges for Librarians and Researchers
in the Sciences (ed: Jeannie P. Miller) Haworth:
Binghamton NY. p. 227-241.
- Whither Processing? An Incremental Approach (pdf). Talk presented at Society of American Archivists
Annual Meeting, Los Angeles, CA, August 18-24, 2003.
- Stanford Linear Accelerator Center, Celebrating 40
Years: A Photo History. Jean Marie Deken, Senior Editor.
SLAC, 2002 (SLAC-R-605)
- Longevity of Electronic/Digital Records: An
Annotated Bibliography (pdf). Handout for Invited talk presented at the US
Department of Energy Records Management Conference, San
Antonio, TX, 6/4/01 -- 6/7/01. (SLAC-PUB-8705).
- Electronic Recordkeeping: An Introduction. (pdf
html version). Invited talk presented at the US
Department of Energy Records Management Conference,
Orange CA, 5/17/99 - 5/20/99. (SLAC-PUB-8152).
- Writ In Water? An exploration of the gap between
Archival construct and practice in the machine-readable
environment. (pdf version or
Working With Knowledge--International Archives
Conference, Canberra, 1998. (SLAC-PUB-7811).
- First in the Web, But Where are the Pieces? (pdf
html version). Society of American
Archivists,Chicago, 1997. (SLAC-PUB-7636).
(And just for fun:
The Archives Song)
Solliday, Amanda. Q & A: SLAC's Archivist
Closes A Chapter" symmetry magazine, May 1, 2018 (interview)
Note: Some links on this page open pdf
files, which require the free Acrobat
Note: Quote at top of page is from Cook, Terry. " Archival Science and postmodernism: New Formulations
for Old Concepts, 2000. Referenced by Mark Greene,
The Power of Archives. Presidential Address, American Archivist v72 no 1 p. 36.
-- Return to top --