Burton Richter, 1931 - 2018
Director Emeritus, Nobel Laureate in Physics, and Paul Pigott Professor of
Physical Sciences Emeritus, Stanford University
Professional and Biographical Information
Burton Richter, 1931-2018 National Academy of Sciences Biographical Memoir by Persis Drell, Vera Lüth, and Maury Tigner, 2022
Richter 1931-2018: Physicist who helped to discover the first particle containing a charm quark. Obituary by Helen
Quinn, Nature, 28 August 2018
Richter, A Nobel Winner for Plumbing Matter, Dies at 87 New York Times, July 23, 2018
- Nobel Prize-winning Stanford
physicist Burton Richter dies at 87. Stanford News Service, July 19, 2018
- Burton Richter, Director (Emeritus)
Director's Office web page.
- Burton Richter, Professor (Emeritus)
PPA Faculty web page.
- Burton Richter, American
Institute of Physics, Physics History Network Profile
- SLAC Director Emeritus and Nobelist Burton Richter to Receive
National Medal of Science October 2, 2014.
Obama Bestows National Medal of Science on SLAC Director Emeritus and Nobelist Burton Richter (includes video)
- 1976 Nobel Prize in Physics:
- Phi Beta
Kappa Book of the Year Award 2011.
Fermi Award, 2012. U.S. Department of Energy.
Events and Photos
Richter Non-technical publications
Beyond Smoke and Mirrors: Climate Change and Energy in the 21st Century. Cambridge University Press, December 2010.
APS Author Interview;
YouTube Author Interview
- How America can look within to achieve energy security and reduce
Burton Richter et al. Oct 2008. Published in Rev.Mod.Phys.80:S1-S109,2008.
Reducing Proliferation Risk. Issues in Science and Technology, Fall 2008.
- Nobel laureates know what they're talking about.
B. Richter (SLAC) . Jul 2007. Published in Nature 448:408,2007.
- Nuclear Power:
A Status Report. Program on Energy and
Sustainable Development Working Paper #58, September 2006
- Using ethanol as an energy source. B. Richter (SLAC) . 2004. Published in Science
- Preparing for terrorism. Burton Richter (SLAC) . Mar 2002. Published in Issues Sci.
- Dealing with terror. B. Richter (SLAC) . 2002. Published in Issues Sci.Technol.19:5,
- The key: Reduce demand. Burton Richter (SLAC) . May 2001. LA Times Sunday, May 20,
- For a list of SLAC newsletter articles written by Burton Richter, please consult the
SLAC Popular Periodicals index.
Richter Technical publications
For a list of Professor Richter's Technical
Publications, please go to
Publications about Richter
Richter Papers in the SLAC Archives, History & Records Office
Richter Papers deposited with the SLAC AHRO are processed.
Download and search the
Guide to Burton Richter Papers, 1952-1999 finding aid (125 pages -- requires a PDF reader) .
Contribute Your Burt Richter Memory
Online submission form
Note: Some links on this page open pdf
files, which require the free Acrobat
-- Return to top --