- V.32, V.32bis, V.42, V.42bis
- CCITT-based standards for modem communication. V.32 covers
speeds up to 9,600 bps. V.32bis covers modem communication at
speeds up to 14,400 bps. V.42 covers error correction by V.32-
compliant modems. V.42bis covers data compression by V.32-
- VACuum Group.
- Volts Alternation Current
- VACuum Gauge.
- Value ACTual. Equivalent to BACT for devices other than
magnets that use DAC / SAM control and read-back.
- Vadose Zone
- See Unsaturated Zone.
- Valiant Little Terminal
- See VLT.
- Value Actual
- See VACT.
- Vector Axial-vector Pseudoscalar
- Vendor-Acquired Property.
- A gaseous form of a liquid or a solid, such as water vapor.
- Vapor Density
- The ratio of the density of a vapor to the density of air.
- Vapor Pressure
- The pressure exerted by a vapor against the sides of a
closed container. It is temperature dependent.
- Voltage Amp Reactive
- Variable Voltage Substation
- See VVS.
- Government permission for a delay or exception in the
application of a given law, ordinance, or regulation.
- VAT Valve
- A type of vacuum valve. VAT is the brand name of this fully
closing valve. Vat valves are also called `Slow Valves.'
- Vietnam Auger Training LaboratorY.
- Virtual Access computer made by Digital Equipment
- VAX CAMAC Channel
- See VCC.
- VAX SLCNET Channel
- See VSC.
- Vertical Bend.
- Very Big Accelerator.
- Vector Boson Fusion.
- |An identifier that permits all Transfer Frames that are
members of a given sequence to be uniquely identified. It permits
multiple user data types to be multiplexed together so that they
may share the finite capacity of the sin|
|gle physical space data channel.|
Glast Category: operations
- Vertex Chamber.
- Video Cable Access Module. A CAMAC module which can be
programmed to multiplex any one out of eight video signals from
cameras and to transfer that signal to one of five possible CATV
channels. It multiplexes the video signals used by the operators
- VAX CAMAC Channel. A chassis which interfaces the VAX unibus
DMA system to the CAMAC system.
- |Used to achieve temperature control by blocking a fraction
of the condenser with a small amount of non-condensable gas. As
condenser temperature increases, heat pipe temperature rises,
vapor pressure is increased and more conde|
|nser area is exposed, increasing heat pipe conductance. The
effect is reversed as condenser temperature decreases, thereby
maintaining a nearly constant heat pipe operating temperature
over a wide range of heat inputs and condenser thermal|
Glast Category: FSW, hardware, spacecraft
- A chassis used to vary the damping ring frequency.
- Voltage Controlled Oscillator.
- Virtual Compton Scattering
- |The frames in the LAT's telemetry data stream containing
the stored housekeeping (HSK), diagnostic, and alert data read
from the HSK partition of the Spacecraft's Solid State Recorder.|
Glast Category: operations, spacecraft
- Volume Damper
- Volts Direct Current
- Video Digitizer Clock Interface. A CAMAC module.
- Voluntary Disability Insturance.
- Vertex Detector System. (Mark II)
- Video Distribution SysTem. A VAX primary.
- Video Display Terminal.
- Vernier Delay Unit. Allows 0-10 nsec of time delay for a NIM
- Value Engineering.
- Volitional Engineering Controls. (ES&H)
- Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre (Calcutta)
- Vietnam Education Foundation. (US)
- VErtex LOcator. (LHCb)
- Violations of the Equivalence Principle
- See NOVO VEPP
- Very Energetic Radiation Imaging Telescope Array. Cherenkov
telescope project under construction in the Arizona, US.
- Vernier Delay Unit
- See VDU.
- A file transfer and communication protocol for using a MAC
or a PC as a terminal. Versaterm is a commercial communication
program for interfacing PCs to mainframes.
- Very High Frequency
- See VHF.
- Vertex Spectrometer Facility at 70 GeV IHEP accelerator.
- A CAMAC module that receives fault information and sends it
to micros in order to flag corrupted data to BPMPs or other
detectors. The klystron veto system provides a fast signal to all
micros that a klystron has missed firing on a beam pulse.
Originally designed to gate the experimenter's detection
equipment off on pulses that are of the wrong energy due to a
- Vacuum Gauge Controller. Monitors vacuum at every klystron/
modulator. Interrupts trigger to modulator when klystron vacuum
- Volatile Hazardous Air Pollutant.
- Vaden Health Center. (Stanford)
- Very High-Energy
- Very High Frequency. Allocated band of radio frequencies
from 30 Megahertz (MHz) to 300 MHz.
- Very High Radiation Area.
- Visual Interface. Developed by Bill Joy, vi became the de
facto standard UNIX editor until the rise of EMACS after 1984. It
is still widely used.
- Video Cable Access Module
- See VCAM.
- Video Digitizer Clock Interface
- See VDCI.
- Video Distribution System
- See VDST.
- Virtuelle Institut für Dunkle MAterie und
Neutrinophysik. (dark matter and neutrino physics)
- Virtuelles Institut für Hochenergiestrahlungen aus dem
KOSmos . (high-energy radiation from the cosmos)
- Virtual Institute for PArticle Cosmology.
- VIsualization for PingER.
- a Michelson laser interferometer.
- Virtual Machine
- See VM.
- Virtual Machine/Conversational Monitor System
- See VM/CMS.
- Virtual Memory System
- See VMS.
- A program or piece of code that is loaded onto your computer
without your knowledge and runs against your wishes. Most viruses
can also replicate themselves. All computer viruses are manmade.
A simple virus that can make a copy of itself over and over again
is relatively easy to produce. Even such a simple virus is
dangerous because it will quickly use all available memory and
bring the system to a halt. An even more dangerous type of virus
is one capable of transmitting itself across networks and
bypassing security systems.
- Visible Integral-field Replicable Unit Spectrograph.
- Visible to Infrared SASE Amplifier.
- Vertical Integration Working Group (ES&H).
- Very Large Array.
- Vertical LAMbertson. See Septum.
- Very Long Baseline Antenna (Arizona).
- Very Large Hadron Collider. A facility, now in the planning
stages, to collide beams of protons and antiprotons with energies
of 50 - 100 TeV per beam.
- Violations of Lorentz Invariance
- Very Large Key (LCLS).
- Very Low Mass
- Visible Light Photon Counter
- Very Low Q**2.
- Very Large-Scale Integration.
- Virtual Lightest Supersymmetric Particle
- Valiant Little Terminal. A terminal emulation program for
- Very Large Telescope. (Chile)
- Visible Light Transmission. The amount of visible light
passing th rough a filter, weighted for the response of the human
eye, expres sed as a percentage.
- Virtual Machine. Refers to the operating system on the IBM
3081 or 3270. (Phased out at SLAC in 1997.)
- Virtual Memory.
- Virtual Machine/Conversational Monitor System. IBM main
interactive timesharing system.
- Vector Meson Dominance
- Versa Module Eurocard. A computer architecture. The VMEbus
is a standard of industry used in data acquisition in detectors
(BaBar) and controls for the accelerator (feedback system)
- Velocity Map Imaging spectrometer.
- Very Massive Objects
- Virtual Memory System. DEC's designation for the VAX
- Vacuum oscillations
- Volatile Organic Compounds.
- Vaporizing or evaporating quickly. Volatalization rate is a
function of turbulence, temperature, and vapor pressure of the
- Voluntary Protection Program - Integrated Safety Management
- Virtual Room Videoconferencing System.
- VAX SLCNET Channel. Refers usually to the interface circuit
and firmware (the VSC box) between the VAX and the SLCNET.
- |An integrated set of hardware and software, developed at
SLAC, that simulates all GLAST interfaces with the LAT (command
and telemetry bus, science data interface, GBM signals, etc). VSC
units were used extensively throughout t|
|he LAT integration and test effort. They continue to be used
in the LAT Dataflow Lab to command and monitor LAT teststands.|
Glast Category: FSW, hardware, software, spacecraft
- Vision for Space Exploration. (NASA)
- Vacuum Science and Engineering Department.
- Vacuum String Field Theory.
- Video Terminal. See VDT.
- Visualization Tool Kit.
- Vent Thru Roof
- A type of computer terminal made by Digital Equipment
Corporation. Many terminals emulate VT100 to be compatible with
servers and software. Macs and PCs can also emulate VT100.
- Vacuum UltraViolet.
- Virtual Visitors Center
- Van Dam-Veltman-Zakharov.
- Variable Voltage Substation. The AC power supplies for the
klystron modulators in the LINAC. Each VVS feeds two sectors of
the LINAC. They are remotely controlled to provide from three to
six hundred volts to the modulator power supplies. Also called
Var iable Voltage Sources.
- VerteX Detector.
Send corrections to firstname.lastname@example.org
or propose new terms for SLACspeak.