- Research and Development.
- A transport matrix which describes the path of a charged
particle through a magnet lattice. It may be used to calculate
the position and angle of a particle at point B from a known
position and angle at point A.
- Radiation Area.
- Return Air.
- Receiver ABort.
- Reasonably Available Control Technology (from CAA).
- Radiation Absorbed Dose. A unit of absorbed dose of
radiaion. One RAD of absorbed dose is equal to .01 joules per
- Radiological Control manual.
- Radiation Absorbed Dose
- See RAD.
- Radiation Physics
- See RP.
- Radiological Worker
- Worker whose job assignment requires work on, with, or in
the proximity of radiation-producing machines or radioactive
materials. A radiological worker has the postential of being
exposed to more than 0.1 rem (1 mSv) per year, which is the sum
of the dose equivalent from external irradiation and the
committed effective dose equivalent from internal irradiation. A
"radiological worker" may also be referred to as a "radiation
worker" or a "rad worker."
- Atoms which give off various radiations through spontaneous
- Redundant Array of Independent/Inexpensive Disks.
- Reflection Absorption Infrared Spectroscopy
- Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (UK).
- Random Access Memory.
- RadioActive Material.
- Remote AMplifier Monitor. A SLC VAX primary.
- RadioActive Materials Storage Yard.
- Random Variable
- In probability theory, the event whose probability of
occurrence is in question is the `random variable.'
- Remedial Action Plan.
- Reverse Address Resolution Protocol. The Internet protocol a
diskless host uses to find its Internet address at startup. RARP
maps a physical (hardware) address to an Internet address.
- Russian Academy of Science.
- Reliability, Availability, and Serviceability. Part of ATCA
- Radiometric All-Sky Infrared CAMera. (SLAC)
- Restricted Access Safety Key. Used to enable magnets to be
tested while personnel are present in an area where the power
supplies are normally interlocked off with the PPS system. The
RASK key circumvents the normal protection interlock system, and
must be used under a strict set of operational procedures that
are designed to prevent accidents during the magnet test.
- Rate LIMit
- See RLIM.
- RA1 - RA6
- Rate (0 through 120) on time slots 1 through 6.
- Reverse Bend. The section near the upstream end of each SLC
arc where the curvature changes direction so that the beams can
be steered around toward the IP.
- Radiologically Controlled Area.
- Rapid-Cycling Bubble Chamber.
- Reconfigurable Cluster Element. (ATLAS)
- RHIC Computing Facility, located at BNL.
- Rational Conformal Field Theory
- Radiological Control Manager
- Research Center for Nuclear Physics
- Resource Conservation and Recovery Act. (42 U.S.C. Ch. 82,
Sec. 6901 et seq)
- Research Division. A SLAC organizational group.
- Relational DataBase Management System.
- Remote Desktop Connection.
- Rounded Damped-Detuned Structure
- Rounded Damped Detuned Structures. (NLC)
- Radical Distribution Function
- Remote Desktop Protocol.
- Reference Design Report (ILC).
- Rausch De Traubenberg and Slupinsky
- Klystron Reflected Energy. A klystron summary display
message indicating problems with reflected energy. See also RP.
- Registered Environmental Assessor. (CH&SC Sec. 25570 et seq)
- REConstruction of the physical properties of events (data).
- Recharge Zone
- A land area where rainwater, or infiltration from surface
streams or impoundment areas or other sources soaks into the
ground and enters an aquifer.
- Research Electronics Division. (SLAC)
- Resonance depolarization.
- Reduced Instruction Set Computer
- See RISC.
- Reflected Power
- An RF engineering parameter that indicates the quality of
impedance matching between any two power devices in an RF system.
The lower the reflected power, the better the impedance match at
any given frequency.
- Refractory Organics
- Organic compounds which are resistant to decomposition
through burning or high temperature treatment.
- Refrigerated Baffle
- See DPS.
- Research Electronics Group.
- Research Engineering Group.
- Regional Response Team
- See RRT.
- Recommended Exposure Level. (from NIOSH)
- A mechanical or electrical system that involves velocities
close enough to the speed of light to require the formulas of
relativistic mechanics is said to be `relativistic.' If the
velocities involved in the system are far enough sub-light to be
approximated by Newtonian mechanics, then the system is said to
- Release Manager
- Release Manager (RM) software makes a build each time a new
version of a package is checked in, whether for GlastRelease,
BeamtestRelease, EngineeringModel, or ScienceTool software. It
also runs a series of tests to ensure interoperablility with
other packages that have been checked in.
Glast Category: software, SAS, package
- Roentgen Equivalent Man. A unit of radiation absorbed by a
person. A `q' multiplication factor is used to adjust for
different type of radiation (having differing effects on the
- Readiness and Emergency Management Team (ES&H).
- Radiological Environmental Monitoring Laboratory.
- Remote Amplifier Monitor
- See RAMM.
- Remote Procedure Call
- See RPC.
- Remote Procedure-Co-System
- A subset of a distributed computing environment that
includes a programming library, network-resource mapping, and
binding services. These tools provide the means for client
processes to execute procedures on a remote server.
- Radiological Environmental Monitoring Plan.
- Reactor Experiment for Neutrino Oscillations. (Korea)
- Rare Earth Permanent Magnet Multipoles.
- Rare Earth Permanent Magnet Material.
- Reportable Occurrence
- A DOE administrative definition. Reportable occurrences are
defined by D0E order 5000.3A. and include all emergencies and
unusual occurrences. These events are reported by the EOIC in a
Notification note book (a binder on the MCC Console desk).
- Reportable Quantity
- See RQ.
- Research Equipment Storage and Assembly.
- Research Yard
- The area east of the BSY and including End Stations A, B,
and C. This term is not generally used for the SLC collider hall
or any facilities east of Beam Dump East.
- Restricted Access
- A PPS beam housing access status designed to allow the safe
operation of electrical hazards in the beam housing without
having to prepare for beam operations that require the extra
discipline of radiation safety. This allows the safe testing of
magnets and power supplies without meeting all of the
requirements of the BAS that would be required to get to the `no
access' state. (Does not exist in CID and LINAC.)
- Reverse Bend
- See RB.
- REstructured eXtended eXecutor (programming language).
- The microwave radio frequency power used to accelerate
particles in the LINAC (2856 MHz) and in the ring cavities (714
MHz). Generally, any oscillation frequency above 30 KHz (above
- Radio Frequency Accelerator Research.
- Radio Frequency Accelerator Research Division. (SLAC)
- RF Accelerator Research and Engineering Division. (SLAC)
- RF Accelerator Research and Engineering Division.
- Request for Comments. The document series, begun in 1969,
which describes the Internet suite of protocols and related
experiments. Not all RFCs describe Internet standards, but all
Internet standards are written as RFCs.
- Request For Proposal
- Radio-frequency quadrupole
- Request For Quotation
- Radio-Frequency Quadrupole Decelerator.
- Renormalization Group
- Residual Gas Analyzer
- Red, Green, and Blue.
- Radiation Generating Devices.
- renormalization group equation
- Renormalization Group Transformation
- Reflection High-Energy Electron Diffraction.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.
- Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider. A Brookhaven National Lab
collider that generates 100 Gev/n per beam.
- Running Hour Meter.
- Rational Hybrid Monte Carlo.
- Cavity resonator invented by Hansen to serve as a powerful
electron accelerator with relatively modest power consumption. As
a partice accelerator, it was surpassed by the Kerst betatron,
but it became a crucial part of Stanford's first microwave tube:
- Restricted Hazardous Wastes.
- Remedial Investigation/Feasability Study.
- Rare Isotope Accelerator.
- Relativistic Impulse Approximation
- Ring-Imaging CHerenkov detector.
- Ratio of Intensity Driver.
- Review Item Discrepancy.
- Rigidity Factor
- A database constant used in the calculation of KMOD and
equal to 33.356. BDES = KMOD X Rigidity X Length.
- Institute of Physical and Chemical Research in Saitama,
Japan. Active in many areas of physics, especially nuclear
- Ring Network
- LAN in which multiple stations are each connected to an
adjacent workstation. Communications must be relayed through the
adjacent stations to reach the desired station.
- Ring To LINAC
- See RTL.
- The ripple readback from the SAM module.
- Reduced Instruction Set Computer. See also RISC
- RISC Architecture
- The objective of this computer technology is to reduce the
complexity of instructions so each can be completed in a CPU
clock cycle, producing faster results.
- Raising Interest in Science and Engineering. (Stanford-DOE
- The probability of an adverse health effect as a result of
exposure to a hazardous substance or substances.
- Risk Assessment
- The use of available information to evaluate and estimate
exposure to a substance(s) and its consequent adverse health
- Risk Management
- The process of integrating risk-assessment results with
engineering data and social, economic, and political concerns,
then weighing alternatives to select the most appropriate public
health action (ranging from public education to interdiction)
that will lead to reduction or elimination of the identified
- Radioactive Ion Source Test
- Resonant Inelastic X-ray Scattering.
- RJ-45 connector
- Small plastic phone-jack style (but different size)
connecter used (at SLAC) on 10base-T Ethernet connections.
- Recirculating Linear Accelerator.
- Rate LIMit. A common effect of the MPS is to rate limit the
- Records Management.
- Requirements Management.
- Radiological Materials Area.
- Return Merchandise Authorization.
- Recommended Maximum Contaminant Level.
- Radiation Materials Declaration Form
- Response Matrix File.
- Risk Management Framework.
- Radioactive Materials Management Area.
- Risk Management and Prevention Program. (CH&SC Sec. 25531 et
- Root Mean Square. The RMS value of the calculated-by-history
- Radioactive Nuclear Beam
- Reducing Nuclear Danger.
- Relativistic Nonlocality
- Reduced normal-ordering
- Reverse Osmosis.
- Research Office Building
- Read-Out Chip.
- Robust Overdensity Calculation using K-Space Topologically
Adaptiv e Refinement.
- Repair Opportunity Day.
- Record Of Decision.
- The SSRL Research and Operations Division.
- Reactive Organic Gases.
- Regions Of Interest.
- Return On Investment.
- |Spatial region from which LAT photons are accumulated.|
Glast Category: astronomy, SAS
- Roller Screen
- A type of beam monitoring screen that `rolls' in and out of
the beam path.
- A system for compensating for the rolls in the SLC arcs.
- Read Only Memory.
- Retired Old Men Eating Out. (Informal SLAC social club).
- An object-oriented data-analysis framework developed at
- Receiver Over Run.
- ROentgen SATellite. An X-ray observatory developed through a
coope rative program between Germany, the US and the UK. Launched
June 1 1990 and turned off February 12, 1999.
- Ross Diagram
- A timing diagram showing the beam codes and their firing
order for a specified machine rate. Named for Mark Ross, its
- The path that network traffic takes from its source to its
- A dedicated computer (or other device) that sends packets
from one place to another, paying attention to the current state
of the network.
- Radiation Physics. The SLAC organization group responsible
for Radiation shielding design, Beam Line containment and BAS
- Responsible Party.
- Research Partnerships & Technology Commercialization. (SLAC)
- Random Phase Approximation
- Rapid Prototype Array.
- See Special Review.
- Remote Procedure Call. A type of interprocess communication
that allows a process on one computer to call a process located
in another computer.
- Resistive Plate Chamber. (BaBar)
- RPC modules
- Resistive Plate Counter modules for detecting muons and
long-lived kaons in the Belle detector (KEKB)
- Radiation Protection Department. (SLAC)
- Radiation Protection Field Operations group. (SLAC)
- Radiation Physics Group.
- Risk Prioritization Model.
- Recovery Point Objective (Business Continuity Plan).
- Respiratory Protection Program.
- Review of Particle Physics. A biennial review published by
The Particle Data Group which summarizes much of particle
physics. Formerly titled Review of Particle Properties, RPP is
available on the web at http://pdg.lbl.gov
- Radiation Protection Program
- Rinecker Proton Therapy Center, located in Munich, Germany.
Contains Europe's first clinical proton-therapy system.
- Relativistic Plane Wave Impulse Approximation.
- Reportable Quantity. (from 49 CFR) The quantity of a
hazardous substance that triggers reports under CERCLA. If a
substance is released in amounts exceeding its RQ, the release
must be reported to the National Response Center, the State
Emergency Response Commission, and community emergency
coordinators for areas likely to be affected.
- Renormalized Quasiparticle Random Phase Approximation
- Rolses, Responsibilities, and Authorities (ES&H).
- Rotating RAdio Transients.
- Raja Ramanna Centre for Advanced Technology. (India)
- Round Robin Database tool.
- Reconstruction of Relativistic Quantum Mechanics
- Residual Resistance Ratio
- Regional Response Team. Representatives of federal, local,
and state agencies who may assist in coordination of activities
at the request of the On-Scene Coordinator before and during a
Superfund response action.
- |Type of error correction coding used in communications with
GLAST. Telemetry packets received from the Observatory contain
bits indicating whether there were corrected or uncorrected RS
errors in the packets.|
Glast Category: software, spacecraft
- The Electronics Industry Association standard defining
interface voltage and current levels and other signal
characteristics for connecting digital equipment to a
- Research Services Building (2013).
- Raditaion Safety Committee.
- Rigid Steel Conduit.
- Resonant Spin Flavor Precession
- Radiation Safety Officer.
- Restricted Solid On Solid
- Resonant Soft X-ray Scattering.
- |Automated analyses run by the LAT collaboration for common
use, e.g., catalog analysis, time-critical science processing,
instrument monitoring, etc._|
Glast Category: data processing, SAS
- |A file format for response (.rsp) files. This class of
files is used in XSPEC, gtrspgen, and other LAT-specific science
analysis software packages. See Redesign and Reimplementation of
XSPEC, Section 3.4.1 Data Package.|
Glast Category: SAS, software
- Rare Symmetry Violating Processes. (Brookhaven)
- Radiation Safety Work Control Form.
- Resonant Soft X-ray Scattering (a type of chamber / end
station in LCLS and a type of science done at LCLS)
- Registry of the Toxic Effects of Chemical Substances. It is
published by NIOSH.
- Real-Time Executive for Multiprocessor Systems.
- Ring To LINAC. A transport line section that brings the beam
from either damping ring back to the LINAC.
- Rear Transition Modules.
- Ring To Main Linac. (ILC)
- Recovery Time Objective (Business Continuity Plan).
- Real-Time Operating System.
- Respirator User's Form
- Running Schedule
- See Operations Schedule.
- Restart Validation Team.(SLAC)
- Review of previous data.
- Revolutionary Working Group. (SLAC Contract Project)
- Radiological Work Permit.
- Regional Water Quality Control Board.
- Radiation Worker Training.
- Rinse Water Treatment Plant.
- Tone Receiver. See Tone Loop.
- Rossi X-ray Timing Explorer satellite
- Roles, Responsibilities and Authorities.
- Roles, Responsibilities, Authorities and Accountability
Send corrections to email@example.com
or propose new terms for SLACspeak.