- Office of Assurance (SLAC)
- Office of Administrative Law. (California)
- Office of Assessment and Support.
- Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information
- One Boson Exchange
- See DOE OBER.
- OBELIX detector at LEAR
- Organization Breakdown Structure.
- Original Cataloging.
- Operations Computing Coordinating Group.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration
- See OSHA.
- Office of the Chief Financial Officer.
- Office of the Chief Information Officer. (SLAC)
- Obligation Control Level.
- Office of Civilian Radioactive Waste Management.
- Office of Confinement Systems.
- Operations Directorate (SLAC).
- Odd Sector Key
- A PPS key used to open the door of odd-numbered Sectors of
the LINAC (except Sector 19).
- Ordinary Differential Equations
- Oxygen Deficiency Hazards.
- Oxygen Deficiency Monitor.
- Odor Threshold
- The lowest concentration at which a substance is able to be
smelled by a person with normal olfactory capability.
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development.
- Office of Engineering and Construction Management (DOE).
- Office of Energy Research.
- Governor's Office of Emergency Services. (California)
- Office of Fusion Energy.
- Oxygen Free Electrolytic (copper).
- Office of Fusion Energy Sciences.
- Off-Site Facility
- A hazardous waste treatment, storage, or disposal area that
is located at a place away from the generating site.
- The x and y offsets for the center of a magnet in
- Opportunity For Improvement.
- Office of General Counsel. (SLAC)
- One Gluon Exchange Model.
- |GSFC's Office for General Investigator Programs provides
leadership for GLAST mission operations and data analysis
activities. It also administers the GLAST guest observer program.
In addition, the OGIP is responsible for the H|
|igh Energy Astrophysics Science Archive Center (HEASARC),
Legacy Archive for Microwave Background Data Analysis (LAMBDA),
and dedicated science support facilities for individual
Glast Category: astronomy, organization
- Optical Gravitational Lensing Experiment.
- Open Grid Service Architecture, from the Global Grid Forum.
- Office of High-Energy Physics. (DOE)
- Oil and Hazardous Materials Technical Assistance Data
System. A computerized data retrieval system developed by the
- Operational Health Physics. The group charged with the task
of monitoring radiation, TLDs, and preventing radiation
- Office of Independent Oversight.
- Office of Intellectual Property and Research Partnerships.
- On-the-Job Training.
- Operational Level Agreement.
- Online Learning Center. (DOE)
- Detector at VEPP-2M and VEPP-4, Novosibirsk.
- Open Membranes
- Office of Management and Budget.
- Occupational Medicine Clinic.
- CERN OMEGA spectrometer.
- Omega Space
- In probability theory, the entire field of all possibilities
in a given experiment is represented by the Greek symbol Omega,
and is called `Omega Space.' If you are rolling a pair of dice,
for example, the 11 whole numbers from two through twelve are the
- OrganoMetallic Vapor Phase Epitaxy.
- On-Scene Coordinator
- See OSC.
- Open Network Computing Group (Sun).
- To one-shot...Refers to an SLC operator manually activating
a feedback loop to make one attempt to automatically adjust to
within its preset tolerances. This corrects for devices that
slowly drift from their ideal settings, without risking the
possible malfunctions that might arise if the computer made
continuous or frequent adjustments without the operator's
monitoring of the results.
- An IC used to generate a single output pulse in response to
a trigger, as in `one-shot multivibrator.'
- Office of Naval Research (U.S. Dept. of the Navy, Washington
- Object-Oriented Analysis.
- Ordering Operator Calculus.
- Object Oriented Programming.
- Out Of Plane Spectrometer.(MIT-Bates)
- Object-Oriented Programming, Systems, Languages and
- Object Oriented User Interface. OOUIs are object-oriented
Graphical User Interfaces (GUIs). In an OOUI, an object may be a
document that knows how to open, print, and shred itself, to be
distinguished from a non-object word processor that knows how to
open a document. The OS/2 Workplace '91 shell, with its templates
for classes of interface objects and containers for windows
holding other windows, is an OOUI.
- Office of Project Assessment (SLAC).Office of Planning
- Online Public Access Catalog. The electronic descendant of
the library "card catalog," an OPAC contains bibliographic
records and is interactively searchable. Access to an OPAC may be
limited to members of its generating institution's community, or
may be open to a broader set of network users.
- OPAL detcctor at LEP.
- Other Project Costs.
- One Pion Exchange
- OPEN LOOK
- A GUI based on X Windows and developed by AT&T. Alternative
- Open Software Foundation
- See OSF.
- Open Systems Interconnection
- See OSI.
- Open Energy Information. (DOE)
- A collaboration to improve, validate, document and test GATE
- One Pion Exchange Potential
- Oscillation Project with Emulsion-tRacking Apparatus.
- Operational Health Physics
- See OHP.
- Operations Schedule
- Long-term schedule of experiments on the accelerator. It is
available from The Technical Director's office in the Technical
Division. Previously called Experiment Schedule. Also called the
Running Schedule, or, the Schedule.
- A member of the SLAC Accelerator Operations Department who
operates the accelerator and beam transport systems in order to
deliver a beam to a team of experimenters. This function involves
tuning to specifications, failure analysis, and PPS procedures.
- Other Potentially Infectious Materials.
- Office of Personnel Management.
- Organizational Point Of Contact.
- OPerationS. See Operator.
- Oak Ridge. See also ORNL.
- A relational database management system which runs on most
mainframe computers and networked microcomputers. Oracle users
can use databases on other platforms as if on their own. SLAC has
several site licenses for Oracle.
- The path of a beam along a transport line. Originated from
storage ring terminology.
- Open Researcher and Contributor ID.
- Organic Chemicals
- A large group of chemicals in which carbon atoms are key
constituents. Other key elements may include sulfur, hydrogen,
oxygen, and nitrogen.
- A facility for advanced accelerator research based on the
Next Linear Collider Test Accelerator (NLCTA) that is being built
- Other Regulated Material (from 49 CFR).
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory (TN)
- Oak Ridge Operations Office (DOE).
- Occurrence Reporting and Processing System. (DOE)
- Optical Society of America.
- On-Scene Coordinator. The predesignated EPA, Coast Guard, or
Department of Defense official who coordinates and directs
Superfund removal actions or Clean Water Act oil- or hazardous-
spill corrective actions.
- Operating Safety Committee (SLAC)
- An acronym for Open Software Foundation, a consortium
consisting of DEC, IBM, HP/Apollo, and other major vendors of
Unix hardware. The group was formed in response to the formation
of the Unix International compact. Now part of The Open Group.
- Operations Support Facility (ALMA telescope - Chile).
- Open String Field Theory.
- Open Science Grid.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration. The U.S.
Government agency in charge of safety in the workplace. The
California State equivalent is CAL/OSHA.
- Open Systems Interconnection. The international standard
program to facilitate data communication among computers from
different manufacturers. The standard defines seven layers of
protocols (Physical layer, Link layer, Network layer, Transport
layer, Session layer, Presentation layer and Application layer).
Most of the functionality in the OSI model exists in all
communication systems, although two or three OSI layers may be
incorporated into one.
- Operational Safety Procedure (or Policy).
- Office of Special Projects.
- Optical SParK chamber.
- Operational Safety Requirement.
- Office of Sponsored Research. (Stanford)
- Office of Science and Technology (1962-1973, functions
transferred to NSF).
- Office of Science and Technology Policy.
- Off-Site Use.
- Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response. A subdivision
- Office of Technology Assessment. (Federal)
- Orient Tantalum Industry Corporation. (Ningxia, China)
- Office of Technology Licensing. (Stanford)
- Odd Truncated Quadrupole-Phonon Model
- Optical Transition Radiation.
- Organizational Unit. (SLAC)
Send corrections to email@example.com
or propose new terms for SLACspeak.