- Management and Operations.
- Materials and Supplies.
- Posits that the strong-coupling behavior of supersymmetric
string theories and field theories is governed by a web of
dualities relating the different theories. This "web" is called
"M" for magic, mystery, and / or membrane.
- Mark II Experiment.
- Mark III Experiment.
- Magnetic Alloy
- Macintosh computer.
- Moves, Adds, Changes. (Telecommunications)
- MAgnetic Calorimeter detector at PEP/SLAC
- Most Attractive Channel
- Minority Affairs Committee.
- Machine Advisory Committee. (ILC)
- MAC CALF
- A Macintosh computer used as a terminal on the VAX control
system. See also CALF.
- MAtrix of Cells of superfluid 3He.
- Machine Protection System
- See MPS.
- MAssive Compact Halo Object, or Massive Astrophysical
Compact Halo Object
- A sequence of keyboard or touch panel operations created and
saved to be initiated by one keystroke as an Operator aid. Also,
a user- defined abbreviation for one or more lines of code.
- Monopole, Astrophysics and Cosmic Ray Observatory
- A collection of TeX macros, or definitions, that are used as
a group to typeset documents following the guidelines of a
specific page layout or style.
- A file transfer and terminal emulation program that allows a
Macintosh to be used as a terminal for a host computer.
- Methodical Accelerator Design. A data input format for
- Multiple wavelength Anomalous Dispersion phasing. A primary
means of solving protein structures.
- Major Atmospheric Gamma Imaging Cherenkov Telescope, on the
Canary Island of La Palma.
- Magnetic Fusion Energy Network
- See MFENET.
- Mail Gateway
- A machine that connects to two or more electronic mail
systems (especially dissimilar mail systems on two different
networks) and transfers mail messages among them.
- Mailing List
- A discussion group, sometimes moderated, whose messages are
distributed via e-mail from a central computer which maintains
the list of people involved in the discussion.
- Main AG
- The power supply, Main Alternating Gradient, that drives the
920 bend magnets of the SLC arcs.
- Main Beam Containment Unit
- See MBCU.
- Main Control Center
- See MCC.
- Main Drive Line
- See MDL.
- Main Manifold Controller
- A chassis monitoring the vacuum level of a system.
- A free mailing list server that runs under UNIX. When e-mail
is addressed to a Majordomo mailing list, it is automatically re-
broadcast to everyone on the list. The result is similar to a
newsgroup or forum, except that the messages are transmitted as
e-mail and are therefore available only to the individuals on the
- Metropolitan Area Network. (DOE - SF Bay Area)
- Management Information System
- See MIS.
- Program for MANipulating HISTograms.
- Form which indicates generator, quantity, type of waste, and
disposer of waste for each shipment of hazardous wastes sent to
- Management Assessment Program. (SLAC)
- Monolithic Active Pixel Sensor.
- Name given to several generations of both accelerators and
detectors created and used at HEPL and at SLAC. (See
- MARK I
- A famous SLAC experimental detector, used to discover the
PSI particle and the tau lepton at SPEAR in the mid 1970s.
- MARK II
- First used at SPEAR as a replacement for the MARK I
detector, this SLAC experimental detector was then used in region
12 of PEP during the 1980's, and again used as the SLC primary
detector until November of 1990. See also MARK I.
- MARK III
- An experimental detector used at SPEAR after Mark II.
- Marx Modulator
- An electrical circuit designed to generate a high voltage
impulse. Named for Edwin Otto Marx, who first described such a
circuit in 1 924.
- A collimator used to shelter a detector from synchrotron
radiation or other low-energy radiation. It is also used to
protect detector components from direct hits by an errant beam.
- Mass Spectrometer
- See Spectrometer.
- Massimo Criteria are the orbit positions at the back end of
each ARC, where the beams pass through the centers of the small-
aperture fixed collimators at the entrance of the FF. The x and y
orbit values are usually posted near COW 3 in MCC and in the FF
SLC TODAY book. Named after Massimo Placidi, a CERN physicist who
assisted in commissioning the SLC final focus.
- Master Oscillator
- The oscillator generating the RF distributed by the MDL to
the whole LINAC. The frequency is 476 MHz (the 6th subharmonic of
the 2856 MHz LINAC klystron frequency).
- Master Pattern Generator Zero
- See MP00.
- Master Trigger Generator
- See MTG.
- An abbreviation for MATLAB used in VAX terminology for a
type of mathematical problem solving file : ` File.Mat.'
- Material Safety Data Sheet
- See MSDS.
- A matrix manipulation software package available on VAX
computers for computation and plotting.
- Matrox Board
- A hardware interface card, made by the Matrox Corporation,
used to drive video display monitors. For example, a scrolling
graphic display of both beams showing the energy and current as
transmitted to MCC by the Micro FB31 from BPMs reading in a
dispersion region in the arcs.
- MAX II
- Storage ring for electrons at MAX-lab, Lund University,
- MAX IV
- Storage ring facility at MaxLab in Lund, Sweden inaugurated
- See Megabyte.
- Microsoft Bitlocker Administration and Monitoring.
- MultiBus CAMAC Driver. A Micro circuit card used to
interface with CAMAC crates.
- Main Beam Containment Unit. An interlock chassis at NPI and
CID for use by the beam containment system for wide pulse beams.
- Multiple beam experiment
- Massive Black Hole.
- MicroBunching Instability.
- Multi-Beam Klystron.
- MegaBytes per second.
- Molecular Beam Resonance technique.
- Minimum Bias Trigger Scintillators. (LHC)
- Monte Carlo. See Monte Carlo Method.
- Mode Converter
- Main Control Center. The building (Bldg 005) from which the
accelerator is operated. Also, the actual control room within
- Motor Control Center.
- Merchant Category Code.
- Mechanical Component Design group (at SLAC)
- The Metals and Ceramics Center (Columbus, OH).
- Maximum Contaminant Level.
- Maximum Concentration Level
- Markov Chain Monte Carlo
- Monte Carlo simulation package (LANL).
- Major Capital Project.
- Main Control Room.
- Methyl-Coenzyme M Reductase.
- Monte Carlo Renormalization Group
- McCallum-Turner, Inc.
- Mechanical Design. Department (SLAC).
- Management Directive.
- Manual Damper.
- Minimum Detectable Activity.
- MoDe Hutch 4. Also, MDH5, MoDe Hutch5. Aligns control of
stoppers to the hutch taking beam.
- Machine Detector Interface.
- Main Drive Line. A temperature-stabilized coaxial cable
which carries the 476 MHz master oscillator signal, and a
fiducial synchronizing signal used to unify timing of the
klystrons in the LINAC and to trigger the PDUs. The length of the
MDL is monitored by an interferometer, since changes in its
length due to thermal changes will result in klystron phase
changes down the LINAC.
- Mixed Dark Matter
- Mobile Device Management.(OCIO)
- MicroDOT gas chambers
- Millikan DRoP measurement.
- Monitored Drift Tubes.
- Magnetic detector at VEEP-4, Novosibirsk
- Mechanical Engineering. Department (SLAC).
- Medium-Energy Accelerator.
- Matter in Extreme Conditions or Material at Extreme
- Mission Executive Council.
- Mechanical Design
- See MD.
- Mechanical Engineering
- See ME.
- Matter in Extreme Conditions instrument. (LCLS)
- Motorola Emitter Coupled Logic. An integrated circuit
technology used for fast logic boards.
- Muon-to-Electron COnversion.
- Mechanical Engineering and Design. (SLAC)
- Medical Department (under contract from the Sequoia Hospital
- The material used to support the transmission of data. This
can be copper wire, coaxial cable, optical fiber, or
electromagnetic wave (as in microwave).
- Mechanical Engineering Design of Synchrotron radiation
equipment a nd Instrumentation.
- Materials in Extreme Environments. (LCLS)
- Term used to designate person within a group who has
responsibility for administration of a type of information
resource, and who is authorized to appoint other czars within
their computing group. See also czar.
- See MeV.
- 1,048,576 bytes or 1,000 kilobytes, roughly one million
bytes or one thousand kilobytes.
- One million floating-point operations per second.
- Molecular Environmental Interface Science.
- Multiprogram Energy Laboratory - Facilities Support.
- Melting Point
- See MP.
- Maximum Entropy Method.
- Package that controls access to SUROM, EEPROM, RAM, and
other CPU memory areas and provides telecommands allowing
operators to write to memory and dump memory contents into
Glast Category: FSW, package
- Memorandum of Understanding
- See MOU.
- MicroElectroMechanical Systems.
- Molecular Environmental Sciences. A new discipline which
uses synchrotron-based spectroscopic techniques to study
- Microfulidic Electrokinetic Sample Holder.
- Mechanical Engineering Safety Inspection.
- MErcury Surface, Space ENfironment, GEochemistry, and
Ranging miss ion.
- Metrology Department (SLAC)
- |For GLAST, MET is the time in seconds starting from
midnight (00:00:00) January 01, 2001 Coordinated Universal Time
Glast Category: FSW, operations, spacecraft
- Meta Data
- Data about data. In an electronic environment, meta data's
basic elements are a structured format and a controlled
vocabulary, which together allow for a precise description of a
digital entity's content, location, and value.
- Meter Relay
- A Beam Containment module which looks at a magnet power
supply to require that its voltage, as read on the meter, be
inside or outside some set points. See also Beam Containment
- Method 18
- An EPA test method which uses gas chromatographic techniques
to measure the concentration of individual volatile organic
compounds in a gas stream.
- Method 24
- An EPA reference method to determine density, water content,
and total volatile content (water and VOC) of coatings.
- Method 25
- An EPA reference method to determine the VOC concentration
in a gas stream.
- Mechanical Engineering and Technical Support Division.
- Mega-Electron-Volt. 1 Million eV. The LINAC klystrons
accelerate the beam approximately 200 MeV per station.
- Ministry of Education, Sports, Science and Technology
- The name of the Collider Hall second floor.
- see MEE.
- Multi-Factor Authentication.
- Mechanical Fabrication Department.
- Mechanical Facilities Department.
- Mechanical Fabrication Department.
- Multi-Function Device
- Magnetic Fusion Energy NETwork. It is centered at the
Lawrence Livermore Lab.
- Magnetic Force Microscopy.
- Managed File Transfer.
- Macromolecular Femtosecond (X)crystallography.
- Microgap Gas Chambers
- Million gallons per day.
- Message Handling System. The system of message user agents,
message transfer agents, message stores, and access units which
together provide OSI electronic mail.
- Monolithic Integrated Circuit.
- A steering algorithm meaning in French `MInimisation des
CArres des Distortions d'Orbite' which translates to Minimization
of the squares of the orbit distortion. One of several methods
used by the orbit correction programs at SLAC.
- Muon Ionization Cooling Experiment (RAL)
- A Switching box to manage broadband communications between
terminals (via the servers) to the VAXes, the IBM 3270 and the
Ethernet network. A terminal which is serviced by the `MICOM
switch' can be used on any of the SLAC site's main computers.
- Microcomputer. The SLC system includes about 70
microcomputers with 8086 or 80386 multitasking CPUs. Most micros
are used to a) drive CAMAC crates which in turn control
accelerator devices and instrumentation, b) perform
standardization algorithms for magnets, and c) communicate with
the VAX by either receiving instructions or returning information
for monitoring and display purposes.
- Microbial Action
- Using the action of microbes to destroy or transform
- See Micro.
- MICRO-MEsh GASeous detector.
- See MidasWWW.
- The first fully-functional X-window GUI browser for the
World Wide Web, written by Tony Johnson at SLAC. It features a
multifont hypertext display, source code viewer, Motif Style
Guide compatibility, and runs under UNIX and VMS. MidasWWW
strongly influenced the subsequent development of the Mosaic and
Netscape Navigator browsers.
- A scattering spectroscopy used to study changes in the size
and index of refraction of spherical and non-spherical particles
whose size is within a factor of 10 from the light's wavelength.
- Major Items of Equipment.
- MILitary SPECifications.
- Gamma Ray observatory at Fenton Hill, New Mexico.
- Million Instructions Per Second
- See MIPS.
- MILtary NETwork. Originally part of the ARPANET, MILNET was
partitioned in 1984 to make it possible for military
installations to have reliable network service, while the ARPANET
continued to be used for research.
- Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions. A way to attach any
kind of file to an e-mail message. Supersedes uuencoding in newer
Unix e-mail systems.
- Mini Sam
- Small Angle Monitor, used to detect Bhabha-scattered
electrons in the Mark II detector.
- Main Injector Neutrino Oscillation Search (at Fermilab)
- A FORTRAN numerical minimization program written by Fred
James (CE RN) in the 1970s.
- Million Instructions Per Second. Refers to the average
number of machine language instructions a computer performs in
- Infrared microspectroscopy beamline at ALBA.
- Mid InfraRed Instrument. (JWST)
- Management Information System. A formal network that extends
computer use beyond routine reporting and into the area of
management decision-making. Its goal is to provide the correct
information to the appropriate manager at the right time.
- Missing Pulse
- See FIDO.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Measures taken to reduce adverse impacts on the environment.
- Mechanically Induced Trapping of Molecular Interactions.
- MARK II Detector. The first SLC detector, now replaced by
the SLD. See MARK II.
- see MARK II
- MultiKnoB. An operator station knob moving the field, the
timing, or the phase of more than one device at the same time.
- modifed Korteweg-de Vries
- MKSU Protect. A klystron summary display status indicating
that the MKSU went into `protect mode.'
- Modulator Klystron Support Unit.
- MKSU Protect
- See MKS.
- MKSU Trigger Enable Fault. A klystron summary display
indicating an interlock fault that causes inhibition of the
modulator firing triggers.
- Microwave Lab (Stanford)
- Maximum Likelihood Estimate.
- Magnetic LEVitation.
- Modified Leading Log Approximation
- see Main Manifold Controller.
- Magnetic Measurement Facility (B081)
- Main Manifold Gauge Controller. A special gauge (one per
sector) which senses vacuum for an entire sector. In the event of
a vacuum leak, the MMGC sends two signals: one to the TIU, which
interrupts the beam in the injector; and one to the Fast Valve
Controllers, whose valves seal and isolate that Sector from the
rest of the accelerator.
- Maintenance Management Index.
- Monolithic Microwave Integrated Circuit.
- Missing Mass Spectrometer.
- Matrixed Mfd technicians for X-ray operations.
- MaiNTenance. A klystron summary display message. In
maintenance mode the klystron may be run locally. This is
accomplished by triggering the unit at a time when there is no
- Modern Offline Analysis Nexus.(MARKIII)
- Mission Operations Center (GLAST).
- |Located at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC), the
MOC is responsible for operating the GLAST satellite and
instruments. The MOC performs all spacecraft commanding,
telemetry monitoring, and Level 0 data processing and d|
|elivery to the GLAST Science Support Center (GSSC), LAT
Instrument Science Operations Center (ISOC), and GBM Instrument
Operations Center (GIOC). Level 0 processing is performed on
files received post-pass from the ground stations. An arch|
|ive of all raw data for the mission is provided off-line
with rapid retrieval of the last 7 days. A 30-day on-line archive
of housekeeping telemetry, command transmissions, and MOC
processing statistics is also maintained.|
Glast Category: operations
- Metal-Organic Chemical Vapor Deposition.
- MODulator. A klystron summary display message indicating a a
modulator interlock fault. Each klystron is powered by a
modulator that produces accurately-timed high-voltage pulses of
the proper width (3.5 micro sec), amplitude and polarity, to
pulse the klystron tubes. Modulators can pass 4000 A peak
current, and are triggered at multiples (and sub-multiples) of
60hz by the MTG. When we speak of `triggering a klystron,' we
actually mean we are triggering its modulator.
- MOdulator-DEModulator. A device or program that enables a
computer to transmit data over telephone lines.
- A method used in modems to make data processing signals
compatible with communication facilities.
- See MOD.
- Monopole and Exotics Detector At the Large hadron collider.
- Monitoring Of Jets in Active galactic nuclei with VLBA
Experiments . (US and Europe)
- Moller Polarimeter
- A device used to detect the degree of polarization of
electrons by using a polarized target and the Moller effect.
- Moller Scattering
- An elastic collision between two electrons.
- Package for collecting CPU performance metrics (CPU load,
etc.) that are streamed into housekeeping telemetry.
Glast Category: FSW, package
- Modular Neutron Array. (NSCL)
- MONitoring Agents in a Large Integrated Services
- MONitoring ALIgnment and Stabilization with high Accuracy.
(AFT2 s ystem).
- Models of Networked Analysis at Regional Centres. LHC
- MOdified Newtonian Dynamics.
- MONOchromator. (LCLS)
- Monte Carlo method
- A method of computer simulation that allows scientists to
assess probable outcomes of experiments or events. The method
employs repeated simulations of an event using actual data, where
known, and providing probable values of unknown data. Probable
values of unknown data are selected anew for each simulation by a
random number generator. Based on the Metropolis Algorithm
- Microwave Oil Recovery Experiments.
- Multigroup Oak Ridge Stochastic Experiment.
- Multipurpose neutron and photon transport code.
- A FORTRAN precompiler.
- Metal On Silicon.
- A mouse-driven interface to the World Wide Web (WWW)
developed by NCSA. (See also MidasWWW)
- Maintenance Operations Support Group. A SLAC operational
- Microsoft Office Sharepoint Server 2007.
- Ministry of Sciences & Technology. (China).
- MagnetOptic Trap. A combination of laser cooling using a web
of laser beams and magnetic cooling using a web of magnetic
fields. The web of laser beams cools atoms by bombarding them
from many directions, and the web of magnetic fields induces
evaporative cooling by encouraging warmer atoms to depart. Cooler
atoms coalesce in the trap to form a Bose-Einstein condensate
- A GUI based on X Windows and distributed by the Open
- Motorola Emitter Coupled Logic
- See MECL.
- Memorandum of Understanding. Used by CDHS to formalize
agreement between themselves and local programs with regard to
enforcement of the HWCL.
- A stepping motor used to move a magnet with respect to the
beam. The beam steering in the SLC arcs is done with magnet
movers instead of the more conventional `trim winding' method.
- Mixed-Oxide Fuels.
- Melting Point. The temperature at which the solid and liquid
forms of a substance exist in equilibrium.
- megaparsec. One million parsecs.
- Maximum Permissible Exposure.
- Microlensing Planet Finder. (Proposed)
- Master Pattern Generator. See also MP00.
- Micro-Pattern Gas Detector.
- Max-Planck-Institut fur Radioastronomie.
- Massively Parallel Processors. For example, IBM's 9076 SP1,
Thinking Machines' CM-2, and Intel's Touchstone Gamma computers.
- Multi-Pixel Photon Counter.
- Millions of particles per cubic foot of air.
- Marine Protection, Research, and Sanctuaries Act. (Federal)
- Machine Protection System. A system to protect the machine
from damage from the beam. It uses ionization chambers, current
monitors, temperature detectors, and microswitches on valves and
other obstructions to rate-limit or turn off the beam whenever
- MultiParticle Spectrometer (BNL).
- MultiParticle Spectrometer at Fermilab.
- MultiParticle Spectrometer upgrade (BNL).
- |Software application used by ISOC Flight Operations staff
to create LAT Timeline and PROC request products. These products
are used by the ISOC to issue commands to the LAT while it is in
Glast Category: operations
- Model-dependent Partial-Wave Analysis
- Master Pattern generator zero. A microprocessor in MCC that
generates the PPYY signals.
- M theory QCD
- Millicharged particles
- Main Ring
- Monthly Reporting Database. (SLAC)
- Milli Rad Equivalent Man.
- Magnetic Resonance Force Microscopy.
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging.
- Mark-J detector at DESY
- See Mark-I
- See Mark-II
- See Mark-III
- Minimum Reporting Level.
- Monitored Retrievable Storage.
- Magnetic Resonance Spectrometer
- Metal-Resistive layer-Silicon photodetector
- Materials Research Society.
- Manual Station. A manually activated fire alarm sensor.
- Minimal Subtraction
- Member States (CERN).
- Management Systems
- Medium Scale Anisotropy Measurement
- Material Safety Data Sheet. An industry standard form used
for listing and describing hazardous chemicals.
- Mechanical Services and maintenance Group. (SSRL)
- Package providing other FSW subsystems with low-level
software error reporting and handling facilities.
Glast Category: FSW, package
- MicroStrip Gas Chamber.
- Mine Safety and Health Administration.
- MicroSoft Installer.
- Management Systems Improvement Strategy.
- Multilayer Soft Lithography.
- Mars Science Laboratory. (NASA)
- Minimal Standard Model
- Management System Owner.
- A pulsar with a very short rotation period of 1~10
Glast Category: astronomy
- |A pulsar with a very short rotational period of 1~10
Glast Category: astronomy
- Merit Systems Protection Board.
- MilliSecond Pulsars.
- Minimal Supersymmetric Standard Model
- MicroSTRategy (software).
- Magic Tee.
- Message Transfer Agent. An OSI application process used to
store and forward messages in the X.400 Message Handling System.
Equivalent to an Internet mail agent.
- Materials Transportation Bureau. A subdivision of DOT.
- Mean Time Between Failures. Average time a device will
function before failing.
- micro Telecommunications Computing Architecture.
- Master Terminal Expander Unit. A fire alarm chassis from
- Master Trigger Generator. Located in CID, this unit
synchronizes the fiducial with respect to PG&E and the damping
- Main Test Level.
- Mean Time To Failure.
- Maximum Transmission Unit. The largest possible unit of data
that can be sent on a given physical medium. For example, the MTU
of Ethernet is 1500 bytes.
- Master Terminal Unit. A fire alarm chassis from LARSE.
- Mechanical Utilities.
- A backplane crate system similar to CAMAC or NIM designed to
hold modules. SLC micros use a multibus system.
- Multibus CAMAC Driver
- See MBCD.
- See MKB.
- Multiple Clip
- A PPS locking device which allows multiple users to lock a
breaker in order to service some piece of equipment. This ensures
that no one will energize the breaker while another group is
still working on the equipment it powers. All locks on the
multiple clip must be removed before the breaker can be
- The division of a single transmission medium into multiple
logical channels supporting many apparently simultaneous
- A lepton with the same charge as the electron, but with mass
210 times larger, and a lifetime of 2.2 microseconds. Because
muons interact only electromagnetically, they are very
penetrating. Shielding the detector from spurious muon radiation
requires massive shielding. Muons were discovered in cosmic rays
by C. F. Powell at Bristol in 1947.
- Midwestern University Research Association. Group working on
high energy proton machine in the 1950's. Donald Kerst, Director,
- Monoenergetic Ultra-Slow Antiproton Source for High-
Precision Investigations, a group of the ASACUSA collaboration.
- MUltiwavelength Survey by Yale and Chile.
- Capable of causing changes in the genetic code by altering
- To bring about a change in the genetic constitution of a
cell by altering its DNA. In turn, `mutagenesis' is any process
by which cells are mutated.
- An abbreviation for Multiplexer.
- Muon to electron conversion experiment. (Fermilab)
- Model View Controller.
- Management Walk-Around (SLAC)
- Minority and Women's Committee.
- MultiWire Proportional Chamber.
- Multiscale Walking TechniColor
- The name of a cerberus pyrotronics control panel. The term
is also used at SLAC to designate the fire detection system.
- Multipurpose hYbrid Research Reactor for High-tech
Applications. ( Planned facility in Belgium)
- Messier 13
Send corrections to firstname.lastname@example.org
or propose new terms for SLACspeak.