- Kicker magnet.
- K Wastes
- A federal waste category comprised of wastes from specific
- Microwave frequency band extending from 11 GHz to 36 GHz.
- Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute.
- Kolmogorov-Arnold-Moser. A theorem stating that oscillatory
motions in conservative dynamical systems persist through the
addition of small perturbations to the system.
- KAMIOKANDE underground Cherenkov detector (Tokyo, Japan)
- Kamioka Nucleon Decay Experiment
- Kamioka Liquid-scintillator AntiNeutrino Detector, located
in the Kamioka mine in Japan.
- KAMIOKANDE-II underground Cherenkov detector (Tokyo, Japan)
- Karsruch-Rutherford Medium Energy Neutrino Experiment
- KArlsruhe Shower Core and Array DEtector.
- Komitee für AstroTeilchenphysik. (Committee for
Astroparticle Physics, in Germany)
- Kirkpatrick Baez (mirror system).
- Kilobits per second.
- Knowledge Discovery in Databases. (Data mining)
- Korteweg-de Vries
- The Magnetic Spectrometer Experiment at VEPP-4M
- Koo Energy Ken. The High Energy Accelerator Research
Organization, Tsukuba, Japan. KEK consists of the Institute of
Particle and Nuclear Studies and the Institute of Materials
- KEK PF LINAC
- KEK electron linac (2.5 GeV) for Photon Factory and TRISTAN.
- KEK PS
- KEK Proton Synchrotron (12 GeV/c Plab).
- KEK TRISTAN
- KEK Tri Ring Intersecting STorage Accelerators at Nippon, an
electron-positron storage ring (60 GeV Ecm).
- KEK B-factory. See also B Factory.
- A network authentication system for use on physically
insecure networks, based on the key distribution model presented
by Needham and Schroeder. It allows entities communicating over
networks to prove their identity to each other while preventing
eavesdropping or replay attacks.
- A communications protocol that can be used to transfer files
or for terminal emulation.
- KERN ECDS
- Surveying and alignment software.
- The level of an operating system or networking system that
contains the system-level commands or all of the functions hidden
from the user. In a Unix system, the kernel is a program that
contains the device drivers, the memory management routines, the
scheduler, and system calls. This program is always running while
the system is operating.
- A chassis that holds eight PPS keys. Keybanks are located
outside PPS gates and are used by operators to: A) monitor and
control traffic at the gate, and B) preserve the area PPS status
(status cannot be changed if the keybank is not complete).
- Klystron Fast Time plot Condition.
- Kicker magnet, a VAX primary.
- A pulsed bend magnet used to kick a beam from its normal
path at a precisely predetermined time.
- Kavli Institute for Cosmological Physics. (U of Chicago)
- Korea Invisible Mass Search.
- Kavli Institute for Particle Astrophysics and Cosmology.
- Kirk key
- A special type of key made by Brown Bavarian Kirk. Keys are
used with keybanks for Personnel Protection System (PPS)
purposes, or for Power Supply (PS) interlock.
- Keep It Simple NETwork. A SLAC SLC network.
- Kaluza-Klein Theory
- A temperature sensor placed on a magnet to shut down the
magnet's power supply when the temperature exceeds a given level.
(Klixon is a brand name.)
- Experiment conducted at the Frascati National Laboratories
(Italy) phi-meson factory DAFNE
- KLystron Temperature. A klystron summary display message
indicating that the klystron temperature is out of tolerance.
- KLystron Vacuum. A klystron summary message indicating a
fault with the internal klystron vacuum.
- See KMD.
- An electron tube that amplifies microwaves by velocity
modulation. A beam of electrons from a hot cathode is passed
through a resonant cavity where it is modulated by high frequency
radio waves. The electrons are bunched as they pass through a
final cavity, where they induce RF with a higher gain. The RF
from the klystrons is transmitted by rectangular waveguide to the
DLWG of the LINAC.
- klystron gallery
- The narrow building directly above SLAC's two mile linac. It
houses the klystrons which power the linac.
- Klystron Phase Requested
- See KPHR.
- Klystron Reflected Energy
- See RE.
- Knowledge Management.
- Klystron Magnetic Breaker. A klystron Summary Display
message indicating a fault with the electromagnet circuit breaker
that feeds power to the klystron focusing magnet power supply.
- Klystron Magnet Current.
- A klystron Summary Display indicating a fault with the
klystron focusing magnet.
- Klystron and Microwave Department.
- The normalized (to energy) field strength of a quadrupole. K
stands for curvature and MOD for model. The KMOD is loaded from a
model configuration or is calculated from BDES and the beam
- K Minimum Spinning Tree.
- K Nearest Neighbor.
- Kolar Gold Field underground detector (India)
- Koo Energy Ken
- See KEK.
- Korean Science and Engineering Foundation.
- kiloPascal. 1,000 Pascals.
- Klystron PHase Requested. This is the value sent to the Fox
- Key Performance Indicator.
- Key Performance Parameters.
- Korean Research Fund.
- Kennedy Space Center.
- A magnet parameter and database secondary indicating the
last time a magnet was successfully standardized. See also
- Klystron Test Lab. (SLAC)
- Kernfysisch Versneller Instituut, located in the
- K3 - Thurston
Send corrections to email@example.com
or propose new terms for SLACspeak.