- See PSI.
- Japan Proton Accelerator Research Complex.
- JADE detector at DESY.
- Japanese Atomic Energy Agency.
- Japanese Atomic Energy Research Institute.
- John Adams Institute for accelerator science. (UK)
- Java implementation of AIDA - Abstract Interfaces for Data
- Java Api for Parameter Control.
- Java Analysis Studio. Experiment-independent analysis tools
for high energy physics data developed at SLAC.
- A US government science advisory group.
- An object-oriented programming language developed by Sun
Microsystems and designed to be small, simple, and portable
across platforms and operating systems. It is best known for its
'applets,' dynamic, interactive programs that can run inside a
World Wide Web page displayed by a Java-capable browser. The
origins of the name 'Java' are explained as:'it survived the
- A scripting language developed by Netscape to enable Web
authors to design interactive sites. Although it shares many of
the features and structures of the full Java language, it was
code, enabling Web authors to add dynamic content to their sites.
It is supported by most browsers, although Internet Explorer
supports only a subset, which Microsoft calls Jscript.
- Japan Aerospace eXploration Agency.
- A Data management system for SLD, based upon ZEBRA, a system
first developed by CERN.
- Joint BioEnergy Institute. (DOE)
- Joint Committee on Cooperation. Full name: US - USSR Joint
Committee on Cooperation and the Peaceful Uses of Atomic Energy.
- JCC FPM
- Joint Coordinating Committee for research on Fundamental
Properties of Matter (US - USSR)
- see JCC FPM
- Joint Center for Energy Storage Research.
- Joint Center for Structural Genomics. (SSRL)
- Department of Energy Cyber Joint Syberscruity Coordination
- Joint Dark Energy Mission (DOE and NASA). Formerly named
Supernova /Acceleration Probe (SNAP) Mission.
- Jefferson Lab
- The Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility in
Newport News,VA, Originally named CEBAF: Continuous Electron Beam
Accelerator Facility. Renamed in May 1996.
- Joint European Torus (in England)
- Junction gate Field-Effect Transistor (also JUGFET)
- Joint Genomic Institute.(DOE)
- Job Hazard Analysis and Mitigation.
- Japan Hadron Facility
- Japan Hadron Project. Proposed multi-instrument facility to
be built at KEK in Tsukuba, Japan. Plans call for a 50 GeV proton
synchrotron ring with a diameter of 1500 m. and a beam current of
10 micro-amperes; a 200 MeV linear accelerator; and a 3 GeV
booster ring. If funded, completion is anticipated by 2002, at a
cost of about $750 million.
- Joint Institute for Nuclear Research (Dubna, Russia).
- Issue tracking and project management software application.
- See Jefferson Lab
- Japan Linear Collider.
- Joint And Several Liability
- Under federal and sometimes California law each part that
contributed to damages may be held liable for all damages, but
each has the right to compel the others to contribute and
- Judgement Of Need.
- Joint Photographic Experts Group. Pronounced jay-peg. JPG is
a lossy compression technique for color images. Although it can
reduce files sizes to about 5% of their normal size, some detail
is lost in the compression.
- Jet Propulsion Laboratory (CalTech).
- Japanese Physical Society.
- Job Requirement and Exposure Checklist.
- Job Safety Analyses.
- Johnson Spaceflight Center. (NASA)
- Java Server Pages.
- Japan's equivalent of the US National Science Foundation.
- James Webb Space Telescope.
- Jansky. Unit used by radio astronomers for the strength (or
flux d ensity) of radiou sources. Named in honor of Karl Guthe
Jansky (19 05-1950).
Send corrections to email@example.com
or propose new terms for SLACspeak.