- DC steering magnet.
- Administration and Engineering. (Building 042)
- The transport line from the beam switchyard (BSY) to End
Station A (ESA).
- A-Scale Sound Level
- A measurement of sound approximating the sensitivity of the
human ear, used to note the intensity or annoyance of sounds.
- Analog to Digital.
- Acquisition Executive.
- Antiproton Accumulator. (CERN)
- Advanced Accelerator Association for promoting science and
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Astronomy and Astrophysics in the New Millennium. (2001)
- Affirmative Action Office.
- American Association of Publishers. Often used in the
context of SGML as the AAP DTD
- Accelerator Advisory Panel. (ILC)
- Association of American Railroads.
- Advanced Accelerator Research and Development
- American Astronomical Society.
- Advanced Accelerator Studies.
- Affirmative Action Task Force
- Advanced Accelerator Task Force
- Assembly Bill.
- Association of Bay Area Governments.
- EPA's computer model for analyzing a violator's ability to
pay a civil penalty.
- Adler-Bell-Jackiw anomaly.
- Atomic Beam Source.
- Absolute zero
- Zero on the Kelvin and Rankine scales. See Word of the Week
- Air Conditioning or Air Conditioning unit.
- Antiproton Collector (CERN)
- ACCounting Office.
- Device used to produce high-energy beams of charged
particles such as electrons, protons, or heavy ions for research
in high -energy and nuclear physics, synchrotron radiation
research, medical therapies, and some industrial applications.
- See Word of the Week at
- Accelerator Department Safety Office
- See ADSO.
- Accelerator Improvements
- See AI.
- Accelerator Maintenance East
- See AME.
- Accelerator Maintenance RF Systems
- See AMRF.
- Accelerator Maintenance Special Systems
- See AMSS.
- Accelerator Maintenance West
- See AMW.
- Accelerator Physics Expert
- See APE.
- Accelerator Status
- See ACCS.
- A measurement of the size of the beampipe aperture as
applied to generalized parameters such as energy, angle, and
transverse positions. The units of acceptance are the units of
the particular parameter whose acceptance is being measured or
defined. Geometric acceptance is the emittance at which 90% or
some arbitrary fraction of the beam is transmitted through the
available aperture. Energy acceptance is the energy range at
which 90% or some arbitrary fraction of the beam energy is
transmitted through the pipe. See also Emittance.
- Accident Site
- The location of an unexpected occurrence, failure or loss,
either at a plant or along a transportation route, resulting in a
release of hazardous materials.
- ACCMOR Collaboration.
- ACCelerator Status. A database primary.
- Advanced Conceptual Design.
- Analytic Continuation by Duality
- Anti-Coincidence Detector (GLAST).
- |Subsystem designed to detect incident cosmic ray charged
particles. Data from the ACD is used to distinguish Gamma-rays
from cosmic rays, and can be used to study cosmic ray sources
alone, or to filter out cosmic ray background|
| during studies of Gamma-ray sources.|
Glast Category: hardware
- Advanced Computations Department. (SLAC)
- Administrative Controlled Document System. (SLAC)
- Astrophysical Composition Explorer.
- Advanced Computational Electromagnetics 3-D Parallel. A
software s uite used to run accelerators.
- Asian Committe for Future Accelerators.
- American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists.
This group is best known for developing TLVs for occupational
- Air Changes per Hour. The movement of a volume of air in a
given period of time. If a house has one air change per hour, it
means that all of the air in the house will be replaced in a one-
- The concrete girders, or cells, in the SLC arcs are called
'achromats' because their magnetic optics are designed to be
achromatic. A beam line is called achromatic when its beam
transport characteristics do not change momentum. For convenience
of construction and operation, the arcs are divided into 23
subsections, each made up of 20 magnets. Each subsection is
called an achromat.
- American Competitiveness Initiative.
- A large class of substances having a ph less than 7. An acid
waste is considered hazardous when its pH is 2.0 or less.
- Astro/CSSA/KIPAC/SLAC (Seminar series).
- Alternate Concentration Limit or Administrative Control
- Access Control List
- Asbestos Containing Materials
- Advanced Cosmic Microwave Explorer
- SSRL Accelerator Systems Department, Accelerator Development
and Controls Group.
- Accelerator Control Room. (Building 052)
- Access Control System.
- Advanced Science Computing Research. (DOE)
- Atmospheric Cerenkov Telescope.
- Activated Carbon
- A highly adsorbent form of carbon used to remove odors and
toxic substances from liquid or gaseous emissions. In waste
treatment it is used to remove dissolved organic matter from
wastewater. It is also used in motor vehicle evaporative control
- Activated Sludge
- Sludge that results when primary effluent is mixed with
bacteria-laden sludge and then agitated and aerated to promote
biological treatment. This speeds breakdown of organic matter in
raw sewage undergoing secondary waste treatment.
- Activated Sludge Treatment
- Exposing waters to microorganisms and air. A portion of the
organic matter is oxidized to carbon dioxide and water and the
other portion is synthesized into new microbial cells.
- A loosely defined set of technologies developed by
Microsoft. ActiveX is an outgrowth of two other Microsoft
technologies, called OLE (Object Linking and Embedding) and COM
(Component Object Model).
- see DOE ACTS
- Acute Effects
- Toxic effects which occur over a relatively short period of
time (minutes, hours). See also Chronic Effects.
- Acute Toxicity
- A quantitative measure of the effects of a toxic agent
administered once or only a few times over a short period of
time, e.g., 24 hours. See also Chronic Toxicity.
- Actual Cost of Work Performed.
- Accelerator Department.
- Antiproton Decelerator (CERN)
- Associate Director.
- Active Directory.
- Accelerator Design & Integration. (ILC)
- Anello Di Accumulazione. Italian half-meter diameter
positron- electron asymmetric ring. Built in 1961.
- Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Analog to Digital Converter.
- Analog-to-Digital Converter.
- ADC Tolerance
- See ATOL.
- See ADCOC.
- Associate Directors' Committee on Computing.
- Pointer to ADC location in buffer. (%ADC n + CH m) where n
is the ADC number o ...M is the channel number. A magnet VAX
- Arkani-Hamed, Dimopoulos, and Dvali (1998)
- Address Resolution
- Conversion of an Internet address to the corresponding
- Address Resolution Protocol
- See ARP.
- ADE refers to the A_n, D_n and exceptional E_n Lie Groups.
These are the Lie groups with only single lines in their Dynkin
- Advanced Dark Energy Physics Telescope.
- Angular Differential Imaging.
- Administrative Order On Consent
- A legal agreement signed by EPA and an individual, business,
or other entity through which the violator agrees to pay for
correction of violations, take the required corrective or cleanup
actions, or refrain from an activity. It describes the actions to
be taken, may be subject to a comment period, applies to civil
actions, and can be enforced in court.
- Accelerator Division Maintenance Office.
- Italian 1.5 GeV electron-positron collider. In operation
- Automated Data Processing
- Anti-De Sitter
- Associate Directors.
- Activity Data Sheet.
- Astrophysics Data System. (SAO/NASA)
- Accelerator-Driven machine concept. (Europe)
- Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line. A technology that allows
more data to be sent over existing copper telephone lines. ADSL
supports data rates from 1.5 to 9 Mbps when receiving data
(downstream rate) and from 16 to 640 Kbps when sending data
- Accelerator Directorate Safety Office.
- Gathering a gas, liquid, or dissolved substance on a surface
(e.g., charcoal adsorbs gases.) Can be used to remove low
concentrations of organic materials from gaseous and watery waste
- Asymptotic Disappearance of Space-Time.
- Accelerator-Driven Transmutation Technology
- Advanced Projects Research Agency
- See ARPA.
- Advanced TCA
- Advanced Telecommunications Computing Architecture.
- Advanced Wastewater Treatment
- Any treatment of sewage that goes beyond the secondary or
biological water treatment stage and includes the removal of
nutrients such as phosphorus and nitrogen and a high percentage
of suspended solids. See Primary Waste Treatment and Secondary
- Advanced Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave
- Antiproton Decelerator (CERN)
- Architect / Engineer.
- Atomic Energy Commission. Superseded by the Energy Research
and Development Agency (ERDA), which in turn was superseded by
the Department of Energy (DOE). Established 1 August 1948,
superseded 11 October 1974.
- Architectural Engineering Construction Management.
- Automated External Defibrillator.
- AED or AE
- Accelerator Engineering Division.(SLAC)
- Association of Environmental Engineering and Science
- Accessible Emission Limit.
- Advances in Experimental Methods for Colliding Beam Physics.
- Argonne Effective Mass Spectrometer.
- Occurring in the presence of free oxygen.
- extremely light, diaphanous substance used in the threshold
Cherenkov counter in BELLE.
- Advanced Energy Systems.
- Auger Electron Spectroscopy.
- Advanced Engineering Staff (General Motors).
- Air Force Base
- Per tower, each of 4 Calorimeter AFEE boards processes the
outputs from 4 GCRC ASICs, and sends eight Trigger Requests to
the Tower Electronics Module (TEM): 4 High-Energy requests and 4
Glast Category: hardware
- Above Finished Floor.
- Aqueous Film-Forming Foam. Contains fluorocarbon surfactants
to change the surface tension of water such that it will float on
hydrocarbon compounds in which it would normally sink, thereby
- Atomic Force Microscopy.
- Approved Funding Plan.
- A widely used Unix network file facility allowing file
sharing among machines many thousands of miles apart. AFS is
descended from a distributed file system developed at Carnegie
Mellon University and was originally called the "Andrew File
System" in honor of Andrew Carnegie.
- Alternating Gradient.
- Akeno Giant Air Shower Array.
- Automatic Gain Control.
- Alternating Gradient Focusing magnet. The SLAC arcs are made
up of AGF magnets. See also Achromat.
- Active Galactic Nuclei. A class of galaxies which spew
massive amounts of energy fromcross their centers and have a much
higher than normal luminosity acros she electromagnetic spectrum.
This radiation is often attributed to supermassive black holes th
at may lie at the center of these galaxies and power their
explosive energy output.
Glast Category: astronomy
- l'Accelerateur Groningen-ORsay. a cyclotron resulting from
collaboration between KVI and IPN.
- Alternating Gradient Synchrotron (Brookhaven)
- Anti-Grand Unification Theory.
- Air Handler.
- Area Hazard Analysis.
- Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act of 1986. (Federal)
- Authority Having Jurisdiction.
- Acutely Hazardous Material. (CH&SC Sec. 25532 et seq)
- Air Handler Unit.
- Artificial Intelligence. The branch of computer science that
studies how smart a machine can be, which involves the capability
of a device to perform functions normally associated with human
intelligence, such as reasoning, learning, and self-improvement.
- Accelerator Improvements. A class of DOE funding.
- American Institute of CHemical Engineers.
- Accelerator Integrated Data Access. A software service in
the acce lerator complex, which allows scientific software
applications to access the various kinds of data necessary for
control and optimiz ation of the beam. For instance, control
data, mathematical models , archived data, static data in Oracle,
etc. See http://www.slac.s tanford.edu/grp/cd/soft/aida/.
- Organization founded to help development of software tools
for academic scientific research in an international,
collaborative way. (See AIDA website.)
Glast Category: organization
- Advanced european Infrastructures for Detectors and
- American Industrial Hygiene Association.
- Agreement of Associated International Laboratory (France and
- Accelerator Improvement Project.
- American Institute of Physics.
- American Institute of Plant Engineers.
- Advanced Instrumentation for Research division. (SLAC)
- Air Changes per Hour
- See ACH.
- Air Pollutant
- Any substance in air which could, if in high enough
concentration, harm humans, other animals, vegetation, or
material. Pollutants may include almost any natural or artificial
composition of matter capable of being airborne. They may be in
the form of solid particles, liquid droplets, gases, or in
combinations of these forms. Generally, they fall into two main
groups: 1) those emitted directly from identifiable sources and
2) those produced in the air by interaction between two or more
primary pollutants, or by reaction with normal atmospheric
constituents, with or without photoactivation. Exclusive of
pollen, fog, and dust, which are of natural origin, about 100
contaminants have been identified and fall into the following
categories: solids, sulfur compounds, volatile organic chemicals,
nitrogen compounds, oxygen compounds, halogen compounds,
radioactive compounds, and odors.
- Air Quality Control Region
- An area--designated by the federal government--in which
communities share a common air pollution problem. Sometimes
several states are involved.
- Advanced Instrumentation Seminars.
- American Institute of Steel Construction.
- Association of Korean High Energy Physicists.
- As Low As Reasonably Achievable.
- New third-generation synchrotron light source located near
Barcelo na, Spain, scheduled to open in 2010.
- Algebraic Coalescence Rehadronization
- A room located in each klystron gallery sector housing a
micro and other controls and hardware for a LINAC sector. The
areas housing electronics in the arcs are also called `alcoves.'
- American Linear Collider Physics Group.
- Asian Linear Collider Steering Committee.
- Associate Laboratory Director (SLAC)
- Alderson phantom
- A human skeleton enclosed in plastic tanks filled with
tissue-equivalent liquids containing the same trace elements as
are found in human bodies. Used under controlled conditions to
safely determine radiation exposure.
- Asymptotically Locally Euclidean
- ALEPH - CERN LEP detector.
- CERN-LEP detector
- large ion collider detector experiment at the CERN LHC.
- Alpha LInux Cluster Engine.
- Atacama Large Millimeter Array telescope. (Chile)
- Annual Laboratory Plan.
- Axion-Like Particle
- Generally refers to a Twiss parameter measuring the rate of
change of Beta, used in studies of accelerator optics.
- Antihydrogen Laser PHysics Apparatus.
- Alpha Magnet
- A dipole magnet designed to bend the beam through a sharp
angle (in the shape of the Greek letter Alpha). For example, an
alpha magnet is used to bend the beam out of the NPI injector
back into the linac
- Any Light Particle Search. (DESY)
- Advanced Light Source.
- Advanced Life Support.
- Alberta Large-scale Time-coincidence Array.
- Alternating Gradient Focusing Magnet
- See AGF.
- Antarctic Muon And Neutrino Detector Array
- AMBASSador. A model of computer terminal manufactured by Ann
- See AMBASS.
- Antisymmetrized Molecular Dynamics.
- Accelerator Maintenance East. Part of PCD.
- Assistant Manager for Energy Programs.
- American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists
- See ACGIH.
- American National Standards Institute
- See ANSI.
- AMplitude Jitter. A klystron summary display message
indicating jitter in the klystron output.
- AMplitude Mean. A klystron Summary Display message
indicating that the klystron mean amplitude is out of tolerance.
- Atomic, Molecular, and Optical physics.
- AMplitude Jitter
- See AMJ.
- Amplitude Mean
- See AMM.
- Adaptive Mesh Refinement
- Accelerator Maintenance RF Systems. This is the department
responsible for the maintenance of Linac klystrons, DR klystrons,
klystron vacuum pumps power supplies, pulsed RF systems, phase
and RF cooling water systems (formerly called `Gallery
- Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer (PSI). An experiment to detect
antimatter and dark matter in space.
- Acquisitions Management System. (Purchasing)
- Anomaly Mediated Symmetry Breaking.
- Accelerator Maintenance Special Systems. The group
responsible for the maintenance of the kickers. There are
approximately a dozen kicker systems on the SLC experiment. See
- Accelerator Maintenance West. Part of PCD.
- AMY detector at KEK-TRISTAN.
- Analog Status
- See ASTS.
- See Word of the Week at
- ANtarctic Impulsive Transient Antenna.
- Argonne National Laboratory.
- See Word of the Week
- Anonymous FTP
- A method for downloading public files using the File
Transfer Protocol (FTP). Anonymous FTP is called anonymous
because you don't need to identify yourself before accessing
- American Nuclear Society.
- American National Standards Institute. The Institute
disseminates basic standards like ASCII, and acts as the United
States' delegate to the ISO. Standards can be ordered by writing
to the ANSI Sales Department, 11 West 42nd Street, New York, NY
10036, or by telephoning 212.642.4900
- The interaction of two chemicals having an opposing, or
neutralizing effect on each other, or--given some specific
biological effect--a chemical interaction that appears to have an
opposing or neutralizing effect over what might otherwise be
- Anti-Degradation Clause
- Part of federal air quality and water quality requirements
prohibiting deterioration where pollution levels are above the
- A section in PPF (Preprints in Particles and Fields)
published by the SLAC Library, which lists publication
information for former 'preprints.' Available from SLAC's ftp
server at: ftp://preprint.
- Proteins produced in the body by immune system cells in
response to antigens, and capable of combining with antigens.
- Adaptive Optics.
- Analysis Object Data.
- Accelerator Operations Group.
- Acousto-Optic Programmable Dispersive Filter (the Dazzler).
- Accelerator Operations Readiness Report.
- Array Operations Site. (ALMA telescope - Chile).
- |Orbital event at which GLAST establishes a communications
link with a TDRSS satellite or with a ground station. Operations
personnel consult the AOS schedule at the start of each shift as
they prepare to monitor the LAT during |
Glast Category: operations, spacecraft
- Accelerator Operations and Safety. (SLAC) See Also AOSD.
- Accelerator Operations and Safety Division. (SLAC
Accelerator Dire ctorate)
- ADC Out of Tolerance. A MCC klystron CUD message.
- Alogorithm processor.
- pulse steering magnet.
- Asian Particle Accelerator Conference.
- Apache Web Server
- A public-domain Web server developed by a loosely-knit group
of programmers. The first version of Apache, based on the NCSA
http daemon Web server, was developed in 1995. Because it was
developed from existing NSCA code and various patches, it was
called "a patchy web server." Sophisticated features, excellent
performance, and low price (it's free), have made Apache the
world's most popular Web server. By some estimates, in 1999 it
hosted more than 50% of all Web sites in the world.
- Advanced Plasma Acceleration Facility. (proposed)
- Advisory Panel on Accelerator Radiation Safety.
- Administrative Panel on Biosafety. (Stanford University)
- Air Pollution Control Association.
- Air Pollution Control District. (CH&SC Sec. 40000 et seq)
- Avalance PhotoDiodes
- Accelerator Physics Expert. A person recording incidents and
problems during operations of the SLC in order to collect data
for analysis and improving operation efficiency. Also called
- Array Processor Elements, a European project involving INFN,
DESY, and the University of Paris-Sud.
- Accounting Processor for Event Logs.
- Accounting Processor for Event Logs.
- Array Processor Experiment/Next. (Supercomputer)
- In optics, the effective diameter of a lens or mirror. In
accelerator terminology, a measure of the transport line's
- Accelerator Physics EXperiment.
- American Petroleum Institute.
- Application Program Interface. A set of calling conventions
defining how a service is invoked through a software package.
- An early acronymn for the B Factory. Alper Garren, an LBL
accelerator physicist who first designed the lattice for what is
now referred to as PEP-II, or the B Factory, coined the phrase
'Asymmetric Particle Interactions Accelerator Research Yard.'
Pier Oddone at LBL used an alternate version that captured the
physicist's perspective of the high luminosity: 'Asymmetric
Particle Interactions At Roaring Yield.'
- Automated Plate Measurement
- Automated Photographic Measuring
- Assurance Program Manager.
- AstroParticle Physics European Coordination.
- A dynamic and interactive program written in the Java
language, which can run inside a Web page displayed by a Java-
- Application Layer
- The top-most layer in the OSI Reference Model providing such
communication services as electronic mail and file transfer.
- Application Server
- A server dedicated to running specific applications (for
example, a communications server).
- The floor area in the CEH. Some Power Supplies and SLC
controls hardware are located on the apron. In any sunken
experimental collision area, the apron is the edge at ground
level, and the sunken area is called the `pit.'
- Advanced Photon Source (x-ray facility) at the Argonne
National Laboratory near Chicago, Illinois.
- American Physical Society
- Accelerator Production of Tritium
- Atomic Parity Violating
- Accelerator Project to Upgrade LHC.
- Air Quality Management District.
- Air Quality Standards.
- Aqueous Film-Forming Foam
- See AFFF.
- A geologic formation that contains sufficient saturated
permeable material to yield significant quantities of water to
wells and springs.
- Accelerator Research Department - A
- Annual Review of Astronomy and Astrophysics.
- Atmospheric Release Advisory Capability.
- Air Resources Board. (CH&SC Sec. 39500 et seq)
- Accelerator Research Department - B
- One of the two curved, caliper-shaped transport lines of the
SLC which transport the two beams from the switchyard to the
final focus area for collision. Since the arcs are curved and
without klystron accelerator stations, about two GeV of beam
energy is lost in each arc. See also Achromat.
- Absolute Radiometer for Cosmic And Diffuse Emission.
- Arillaga Recreation Center At SLAC.
- Arc Magnet
- A measure of arc length: one arcmin is 1/60 degree.
Glast Category: astronomy
- Accelerator Resonantly Coupled Energy Storage
- A measure of lengths of arc. One arcsec is 1/60 arcmin.
Glast Category: astronomy
- Accelerator Research Division (SLAC).
- Accelerator Research Department A (SLAC)
- Accelerator Research Department-B
- Accelerator Research Department B (SLAC)
- Area of Review
- In the UIC program, the area surrounding an injection well
tht is reviewed during the permitting process to determine
whether the injection operation will induce flow between
- Area Source
- Any small source of non-natural air pollution that is
released over a relatively small area but which cannot be
classified as a point source. Such sources may include vehicles
and other small fuel combustion engines.
- Ancillary Response Files.
- Accident Response Group.
- ARGUS detector at DORIS.
- Astrophysical Radiation with Ground-based Observatory.
- Advanced Research and Global Observation Satellite. A US Air
Force low earth orbit satellite launched in 1999 carrying the USA
experiment (among others).
- A complete particle detector, upgraded with a microvertex
drift chamber for B-meson physics, at DESY DORIS-II.
- Archives and Research Library.
- SSRL Accelerator Systems Department, Accelerator and FEL
- Accelerator Research and Operations Division.
- Address Resolution Protocol. The Internet protocol used to
dynamically map Internet addresses to physical (hardware)
addresses on local area networks. Limited to networks that
support hardware broadcast.
- Advanced Research Projects Agency. Former name of DARPA, the
government agency that funded ARPANET and later the DARPA
- A pioneering long haul network funded by ARPA. It served as
the basis for early networking research as well as a central
backbone during the development of the Internet. The ARPANET
consists of individual packet switching computers interconnected
by leased lines.
- Angle-Resolved PhotoEmission Spectroscropy. Technique
pioneered at Stanford and at SLAC to study the behavior of
complex materials. Uses a high-resolution spectrometer to detect
electrons emitted from the surfaces of materials subjected to
intense X-ray beams.
- Accelerator Readiness Review.
- Message sent automatically by the LAT or the GBM to the
Spacecraft when either instrument suspects a Gamma-ray Burst is
in progress. The Spacecraft evaluates the request and - if
orbital conditions allow - may slew into a mor e direct viewing
angle, notifying the LAT, the GBM, and the ground of the action
Glast Category: spacecraft
- American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (2009).
- Algebraic Reconstruction Technique
- Americas Regional Team (ILC).
- Accelerator Remedy Trouble Entry and Maintenance Information
- Artesian Aquifer
- An aquifer in which ground water is confined under pressure
significantly greater than atmospheric pressure. Also known as a
- Artificial Intelligence
- See AI.
- Australian Synchrotron.
- Atomic Spectroscopy And Collisions Using Slow Antiprotons. A
Japanese-European collaboration at CERN. (Also the name of a
famous temple district in Tokyo.)
- American Standard Code for Information Interchange. Defines
a 7-bit internal computer code for storing 128 letters, numbers,
punctuation, and control codes. ASCII is used on almost all
computers except some IBM mainframes (see EBCDIC). There is also
an 'extended ASCII' which provides for 256 characters.
- Advanced Scientific Computing Research (DOE).
- Accelerator Systems Development / Department. (SSRL)
- Accelerator Systems Division.
- |Established in November 2000, the Italian ASI Science Data
Center supports ASI scientific missions for all matters
concerning the management and archival of scientific space data
and all ASI scientific missions. It also serves|
| as the interface between the ASI scientific missions and
the users' community.|
Glast Category: astronomy, management
- Accelerator Safety Envelope.
- Aeronautics and Space Engineering Board.
- Annual Site Environmental Reports.
- Advanced Study Group (of the Max Planck Society).
- Academia Sinica Grid Center.
- American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-
conditioning En gineers.
- Application Specific Integrated Circuits.
- Advances Synchrotron Light Source.
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Accelerator Systems Operator.
- Accelerator Safety and Operations division, Accelerator
- Absolute value Solid-On-Solid
- Anomalous Single Photon detector and experiment at PEP.
- |ASP products provide a 'Quick Look' at LAT data in order to
alert the scientific community of time-critical transient events
(GRBs and other transient sources). Light curves are also
provided for a predefined list of sources.|
Glast Category: software
- Astronomical Society of the Pacific.
- Astrometric Search for Planets Encircling Nearby Stars.
- AStroParticle European Research Area.
- Automatic SParK chambers.
- Accelerator Systems and Research Facilities. (SLAC)
- Australian Synchrotron Research Program.
- Accelerator Structure SET-up. A SLAC experiment to test
future linear colliders. A three-meter beam line space in linac
sector two has been reserved to test X-band structure.
- The ability of a body of water to purify itself of
- Accelerator Systems String Test
- Accelerator Structure Test Area.
- As Sent To Bidder.
- ASTErix detector at LEAR. (CERN)
- Accelerator Science and Technology Centre. (UK)
- American Society for Testing and Materials.
- A satellite planned for launch by Japan in 2013.
- Astronomical acronym.
- National Academy of Sciences' National Research council
report New words, new Horizons in Astronomy and Astrophysics,
released 8/13/ 2010.
- Analog STatuS. An SLC VAX primary.
- Accelerator Safety Workshop.
- Asymptotic freedom
- The decrease,at high energy,of the strong force between
- Transmission by individual bytes, not related to specific
timing on the transmitting end.
- Ampere Trip.
- Allen Telescope Array.
- Activity Training and Authorization. When signed by the
worker and their supervisor, this document authorizes and
releases a worker t o perform activities in their resident area.
It is valid for one year.
- Document describing activities, boundary conditions,
hazards, controls, and training requirements, used to authorize
and release an employee to perform resident activities __
Glast Category: management
- Augmented Technical Board.(BaBar)
- Australia Telescope Compact Array
- Advanced Telecommunications Computing Architecture.
- Accelerator Test Facility / Advanced Test Facility.
- Accelerator Test Facility 2 (KEK).
- AnTiHydrogEN Apparatus (CERN).
- Advanced Thin Ionization Calorimeter
- A Toroidal LHC ApparatuS. (A general purpose dectector at
the LHC at CERN).
- Asynchronous Transfer Mode
- Authority To Operate. (DOE)
- ADC TOLerance. A VAX magnet database secondary. The loose
tolerance on desired current. Used for calibration,
standardization, and for diagnostic knobs.
- Area Telecommunications Office Motivator
- Atomic Energy Commission
- See AEC.
- Advanced microwave Technology Research department. (SLAC)
- Antihydrogen TRAP.
- List of commands that the spacecraft will automatically
execute at specified times. An ATS load contains a week's worth
of commands and cannot be edited in progress.
Glast Category: operations
- Action Tracking System. (Replaced CATS)
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry. (Federal)
- Advanced Technology Solar Telescope.
- Package that supplies routines used by other FSW subsystems
to transform local (LAT) geometric coordinates to J2000 inertial
Glast Category: FSW, package
- Attached Resource Computer Network
- See ARCnet.
- The process by which a compound is reduced in concentration
over time, through adsorption, degradation, dilution, and/or
- One billionth of one billionth of a second.
- Accelerator-Driven Transmutation of nuclear Waste. A
proposed Japanese Atomic Energy Research Institute (JAERI)
facility that, if constructed, would bombard long-lived
radioactive isotopes with neutrons to convert them into more
- Analog Transient Waveform Digitizers (NESTOR).
- Astronomical Units
- Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy. It is
an organization of various universities and other non-profit and
- Auston switch
- Switch made of semiconductor material and triggered by an
ultrafas t optical laser. Passes an extremely short-lived current
when hit by a photon.
- The process of identifying an individual, usually based on a
username and password. In security systems, authentication is
distinct from authorization, which is the process of giving
individuals access to system objects based on their identity.
Authentication merely ensures that the individual is who he or
she claims to be, but says nothing about the access rights of the
- Autoignition Temperature
- The temperature at which a material (solid, liquid, or gas)
will self-ignite and sustain combustion in the absence of a spark
- Auxiliary Door
- Any door between two PPS areas. An internal door in a PPS
- Anti-Virus. (Computing)
- Analysis Working Group (BaBar).
- Aho, Weinberger, and Kernighan. A Unix programming language
for analyzing and manipulating text files.
- Advanced X-Ray Astrophysics Facility.
- Stanford University employee benefits web portal.
Send corrections to firstname.lastname@example.org
or propose new terms for SLACspeak.