Burton Richter, 1931 - 2018
Director Emeritus, Nobel Laureate in Physics, and Paul Pigott Professor of
Physical Sciences Emeritus, Stanford University
Professional and Biographical Information
Richber 1931-2018: Physicist who helped to discover the first particle containing a charm quark. Obituary by Helen
Quinn, Nature, 28 August 2018
Richter, A Nobel Winner for Plumbing Matter, Dies at 87 New York Times, July 23, 2018
- Nobel Prize-winning Stanford
physicist Burton Richter dies at 87. Stanford News Service, July 19, 2018
- Burton Richter, Director (Emeritus)
Director's Office web page.
- Burton Richter, Professor (Emeritus)
PPA Faculty web page.
- SLAC Director Emeritus and Nobelist Burton Richter to Receive
National Medal of Science October 2, 2014
- 1976 Nobel Prize in Physics:
- Phi Beta
Kappa Book of the Year Award 2011.
Fermi Award, 2012. U.S. Department of Energy.
Events and Photos
Richter Non-technical publications
Beyond Smoke and Mirrors: Climate Change and Energy in the 21st Century. Cambridge University Press, December 2010.
APS Author Interview;
YouTube Author Interview
- How America can look within to achieve energy security and reduce
Burton Richter et al. Oct 2008. Published in Rev.Mod.Phys.80:S1-S109,2008.
Reducing Proliferation Risk. Issues in Science and Technology, Fall 2008.
- Nobel laureates know what they're talking about.
B. Richter (SLAC) . Jul 2007. Published in Nature 448:408,2007.
- Nuclear Power:
A Status Report. Program on Energy and
Sustainable Development Working Paper #58, September 2006
- Using ethanol as an energy source. B. Richter (SLAC) . 2004. Published in Science
- Preparing for terrorism. Burton Richter (SLAC) . Mar 2002. Published in Issues Sci.
- Dealing with terror. B. Richter (SLAC) . 2002. Published in Issues Sci.Technol.19:5,
- The key: Reduce demand. Burton Richter (SLAC) . May 2001. LA Times Sunday, May 20,
- For a list of SLAC newsletter articles written by Burton Richter, please consult the
SLAC Popular Periodicals index.
Richter Technical publications
For a list of Professor Richter's Technical
Publications, please go to
Publications about Richter
Richter Papers in the SLAC Archives, History & Records Office
Richter Papers deposited with the SLAC AHRO are processed.
Download and search the
Guide to Burton Richter Papers, 1952-1999 finding aid (125 pages -- requires a PDF reader) .
Contribut Your Burt Richter Memory
Online submission form
Note: Some links on this page open pdf
files, which require the free Acrobat
-- Return to top --