SCS Network Group Mission
Last update: February 2, 2006
The mission of the SCS Network Management & Engineering group
is to provide leadership and support in data communications
to the Laboratory as a whole and to physics research in particular.
In support of the mission, members of the group will pursue the following
- Coordinate and exchange information with network users and provide tools
and procedures to help in troubleshooting and accessing network information.
- Provide availability for all SLAC networks commensurate with the expected
availability of individual nodes on that network.
- Provide and integrate tools for network management and diagnosis.
- Provide techniques to discover, isolate, fix and track network problems in
such a way as to maximize availability.
- Monitor the network and add increased capacity to provide adequate
performance. Advise management on capacity planning to handle observed
and projected growth.
- Provide record keeping on network configurations and use this to manage
- Provide high quality access to/from off-site.
- Provide appropriate network security.
Charley Granieri and