Agilent EEsof Advanced Design System 2006_Update_3 for Windows XP
The installation source files are available for installation of the application
to your local PC using the Xweb interface.
There is no need to remove earlier versions of ADS from your PC before
installing ADS 2006_Update_3.
About 3.3 GB of disk space is required, which includes the main application
There is also a Solaris and a Linux version, in AFS space.
Installing on a client PC
- Begin by going to the Xweb URL: xweb.slac.stanford.edu
- Locate in the list, the entry:
EEsof version 2006_Update_3
and click on the "Click to install" button to the right.
- After agreeing to the license conditions, click at the top on
"Install complete app", associated with "Step 1". Sometimes this screen shows
up even before the license agreement prompt. In that case, this screen
will appear a second time, after the license agreement page, in which case
you click on "Install main app" a second time as well.
- On the next "File Download" page, you can choose either "Run" or "Save".
The first choice might be easiest. It will download the installation files
and then automatically proceed to install the application. The "Save" option
only downloads the installation files. You would then have to go to the
location where you saved the downloaded files and doubleclick on the *.exe
file, which would initiate the install.
- On the next security warning page, click again on "Run", in case that
is what you chose in the previous step.
- After the files have been downloaded, and sometimes following a
wait of several minutes with no window appearing, a window finally does appear,
indicating that the files are being unzipped (if you selected 'run' previously).
- Eventually the ADS installer appears, in which you click through the first several windows,
including the license agreement and "Customer Information" window,
in which you enter the usual information.
- In the "Specify Your Installation Directory" window 'Browse' to
a local directory you would like as your local installation directory.
There can be no spaces in the pathname.
- In the "Specify Your Home Directory" window 'Browse' to a local directory
you would like as your local working directory. Your Z-drive might be
appropriate for this directory.
- In the "Select Features" window select "Custom installation".
This brings up a menu of features to install. We have licenses for the
The total space required is around 2.3 GB. There may be a few more
items that can be de-selected from the installation list.
- ADS programs and tools
- Layout, Simulators and Schematic Capture
- Vendor Component Libraries
- Manuals & Help
- Examples (you can deselect RFIC Examples)
- In the "Personal or Common program folder" window select
either of the two options, depending on your preference.
- In the "Select Program Folder " menu, either select the default, or change
the Programs Folder entry to whatever you prefer, like:
"EEsof ADS 2006_Update_3", for example.
- After clicking through the confirmation window, the installation
procedure begins. Initially there is no progress bar, or any other
indication that the installation is proceeding.
- After the installation is completed, a 'License Required' message
window appears, which you can ignore by clicking on 'OK'.
- There is still another, "Question", window, to which you can respond
- In the following "InstallShield Wizard Complete" window, click on 'Finish'.
For setting up the license, see the following section
Setting up the licensing
Setting up the licensing
The last task to perform is to include a reference to the remote license
file, in case you haven't already done so for a previous version and a reference
to your local documentation folder:
- Log in as the local Administrator.
- Get to the area: start/settings/control panel
- Double-click the Systems Folder and select tab 'Advanced', then
- Set variable 'LM_LICENSE_FILE' to include an entry for the EEsof license
as follows: (This will have to be done as a System variable, not a
user variable). LM_LICENSE_FILE can be defined for all applications
we have so far as a System variable.
- If the variable is already set, add the following entry to the beginning
of the list of other entries, preceded by ';', otherwise initialize the list
of values with:
(The one license we have for EEsof can be used either in
our Sun, Linux or our Windows environment, on a shared basis).
A final note about invoking this program. After calling up the program,
it takes on the order of 30 seconds to bring up the first screen, which
prompts you for which type of application you wish to design. All
EEsof-related windows go away for close to a minute while the program is
loading, until finally the main window appears.
Copyright, and Other Fine Print ]
Last updated: November 30, 2007