8-pack control system working group Meeting Notes

19 August 2003


In attendance: R. Chestnut, R. Hall, J. Nelson, J. Rock, S. Smith

Note taker/typer: J. Nelson


Todayís agenda:



*trickle down of SLED and phase distrib numbers

††††† Steve explained to all present how the trickle down needs to work.If a number is changed on either the SLED or the Phase distribution panels, the numbers on the appropriate A&P panels need to change (which causes I&Q to change).Specifically, amplitude for klystron 5 for time step one is the product of the overall amplitude * klystron 5ís relative amplitude * rel amplitude for time step 1.All 3 of these numbers are on the SLED panel.All 3 of these numbers are fractional power, i.e. go from 0 to 1, nominally.(though limits up to 2 would be nice).The phase for klystron 5 time step 1 is the sum of time step 1ís phase (sled panel), klystron 5ís overall phase (phase distrib panel), and the calibration phase (channel phase angle) for klystron 5. (Janice asks, is there more than one calibration phase for each klys?)All phases should be +/-180 and such that if someone enters 270 degrees it changes to Ė90.

††††† Steve also requested a force-the-trickle-down button on the A&P panels and the SLED and Phase distrib panel

Janice will create a draft of the algorithm to be approved by Andy and Steve

*AB/EPICS check out plans

††††† Janice reported that she, Judy and Serge spent an hour doing checkout and discovered about 25% of the variables on the main PLC touch screen hadnít been in Casselís previous printouts.Dave Schultz et al have asked Cassel to produce another list.



*purple status from AB

††††† Janice is supposed to harass Larsen (?) about Casselís satellite crate of AB modules that makes Alan Hillís DCM code not work.

††††† Judy created a PV and itís being cmlogged to show when nlcta plc statuses change to purple.

*specify %saturated routine for AES waveforms

††††† Janice gave the equations to Ron and Kukhee who will implement.Bob will make sure these get archived.

*save sensor number instead of module and channel information for the largest rms

††††† Janice requested that this number go from 1-112 instead of 0-111.Ron will fix.

*cmlog not so useful after mod 1 fire

††††† Judy and Ron are working on code to watch cmlog for the logging of the heartbeat PV as well as an ALH branch for NLCTA processes: cmlog, alh, channel watcher, etc.

*new DTIZ module (MacNairís)

††††† Ron will talk to Dave and Linda to see what progress theyíve made for reading out these modules and investigate what it takes to write an EPICS driver for them.



Janice committed to looking for missing 8pack variables and will double check with Steve Smith to make sure they donít want to keep any of the 8pack SIS waveforms from a while ago


From before:

SWE is ready to test processing loop with real signals.Sounds like there might not be time to test the loop until mid-October.


Steve reported that the LLRF calibration will be done in matlab.Will need SWE support to add buttons to the EPICs panels to call these.



-Once the RMS calcs for nlcta AES waveforms is set, weíll migrate the code for the 8-pack AES

-(no change) We deferred the following: longer term issue: what to do if reading out an SIS when a fault occurs?



DAC/ADC Issues

All of these issues are for sooner see the comment above: (SEE COMMENTS ABOVE)

- The trickle down of the SLED variables.This was specified at a previous meeting (numbers on SLED panel need to trickle down to I/Q and A/P PVs).For processing, we might want this feature functional sooner rather than later.

-The trickle down of the variables on the power distribution panel as well.There are 4 PVs there called Klystron Sled-in phases.These need to trickle down to the phase DACs as well.This phase is to be added to the channel phase angle (IQ calib panel) and to the timestep phase before going out to the DAC.



-The SW for the deadman is done.Is the hardware done?


Peak Power Meter (PPM)

-Janice reported that both PPMs are hooked up to labview, though itís not running all the time during commissioning and load processing.

-Tonee has yet to write the labview code to retrieve the scope waveforms, but is working on it.

-Only the PPA PARMs were being archived.Janice gave the new list to Judy/Bob.Once the waveform retrieval is working, weíll add those PVs to the archive list.

-Janice will teach llrf how to get at archived data and panel.



-(no change) On going: Need to check out readback with real signals, check archiving of variables (pwr, pmin, pmax, etc), and check the plots.


Archiving of SISs

Need to ask Joe about the following:

-(no change) Later SWE will work with Joe on his other two requests: archive every few minutes and when a change occurs in a selected set of values in EPICS (a pseudo-trip if you will)