8-pack control system working group Meeting Notes

10 June 2003


In attendance: E. Andrikopoulos, R. Chestnut, R. Hall, J. Frisch, K. Kim, J. Nelson, J. Rock,

Note taker/typer: J. Nelson

Changes in blue.


Of immediate concern: What’s preventing the processing loop from working?


There should be time this week for Kukhee, Joe and Ron to start testing the DIO then  go from there


(still to do) Elias will work with Andy to make PHIT 1 be PHIT 2 (rewire, but no software changes)


The processing panel is now done.


This is done: SWE will add diode reset buttons to the IQA module panel and the LLRF main panel


Joe reported the “DIODE” trip will temporarily include the vacuum pump trips.


Need to test DIODE reset button this week.


Elias will send a crate profile to Ron/Judy/Kukhee of the crate he’s about to take a “spare” SIS out of.



- Elias &/or Andrew will make “MODIFIED” stickers for the SISes that have been modified very soon.

- Elias &/or Andrew will finish testing the SISes to make sure they work after the human error.

-Joe reported the triggers are set up to trip the SISes on either a diode fault or sw fault right now.  We will probably want to change this once the processing loop is commissioned and working.

-there are now 3 sises in tr09 and the database has names.  Kukhee will give the names to Judy (for displays) and to Bob (for archiving).

Judy will add plot buttons to the support panel(s).  Kukhee will add an acquire button for these new SISes.

-RMS calculations of AES SIS waveforms: Janice will send the requirements doc to Ron.

-(no change) We deferred the following: longer term issue: what to do if reading out an SIS when a fault occurs?

-(no change) Right now the SISs are paused and read out with a user request only.  A read when a fault happens will also be added to this.



-Judy said the IQA calibration numbers are in the list of items to be archived. 

-(I believe this is still true) Need to test the calibrated waveforms


Peak Power Meter (PPM)

-Janice reported that both PPMs are hooked up to labview, though it’s not running all the time during commissioning and load processing.

-Tonee has yet to write the labview code to retrieve the scope waveforms, but is working on it.

-Only the PPA PARMs were being archived.  Janice gave the new list to Judy/Bob.  Once the waveform retrieval is working, we’ll add those PVs to the archive list.

-Janice will teach llrf how to get at archived data and panel.



-Janice reported that at the 10:00 meeting this morning Jeff De La Mare reported: Cassel didn’t change any of the tables since the last printout, he’s only added stuff for the vacuum analog trips.  This list should appear reasonably soon, then  we’ll go to the next step:

-(no change) We’re currently waiting for Dick’s setup to settle down then we’ll do one more iteration of getting list, changing database, changing panels, programming the dcm, changing alarm handler and archive stuff as needed



no changes to stuff below:


-(no change) On going: Need to check out readback with real signals, check archiving of variables (pwr, pmin, pmax, etc), and check the plots.



-(no change)Judy reported the crate profiles on the web are updated and look good.  Janice requested that channel assignment information also be available via the web, even it it’s just a link to the template file.  Judy and Ron will look into this.

-Has this been done?  Andrew will tell Kukhee when he takes out the DIO module to modify it for the deadman


DAC/ADC Issues

All of these issues are for later:


-TBD: The trickle down of the SLED variables.  This was specified at a previous meeting (numbers on SLED panel need to trickle down to I/Q and A/P PVs).  For processing, we might want this feature functional sooner rather than later. 

-TBD: the trickle down of the variables on the power distribution panel as well.  There are 4 PVs there called Klystron Sled-in phases.  These need to trickle down to the phase DACs as well.  This phase is to be added to the channel phase angle (IQ calib panel) and to the timestep phase before going out to the DAC.



Archiving of SISs

-(no change) SWE plans to implement the following two features requested by LLRF (Joe’s email):

have waveforms archived on (1) every trip and (2) when an acquire is done by a user

-(no change) Later SWE will work with Joe on his other two requests: archive every few minutes and when a change occurs in a selected set of values in EPICS (a pseudo-trip if you will)


Processing algorithm

(see above)

- Steve confirmed that LLRF folks will indeed contact SWE:  (still waiting on HW folks) Processing algorithm ready to be checked.  Andy will call Kukhee and Ron when there’s a good time to check it.

- Kukhee will make sure the processing loop resets the IQAs too.

-The trigger stopping mechanism on a fault was discussed.  Joe proposed a DIO bit goes to NIM logic etc etc.  It’s believed that Kukhee’s method of changing the trigger register status is too slow for the number of SISes and their location in different crates.