Spectrometer Design Questions
What is maximum field that 29D36 can be run at? This
impacts on final horizontal size of detectors (need +/-80 cm
wide for 1.5 Tm, but only +/-60 cm for 2.0 Tm). Higher
filed makes small resolution improvement.
- What should drift between 29D36 and LASS dipole be?
Proposal has 0 cm which seems impractical. A drift of 50 cm
results in slight acceptance loss and slight resolution
- Studies show that alumina should start as close to target
as possible for best resolution. But some small gap is
needed: how big should this be? How long does alumina need
to be? Shorter length improves resolution, but increases
- How much integral Bdl can we achieve in LASS dipole? Who
will do the detailed design of the shim pieces (gap in front
can be smaller than gap at back)?
- Is detailed field mapping needed?
- Should the original LASS power supply be re-furbished?
This allows more flexibility in commisioning and scheduling.