Booting RTEMS/GeSys on a Motorola MVME23xx (PowerPC) Board
On the MVME23xx
series boards, RTEMS/GeSys is booted using the Motorola PPCBug
firmware (and part
2). First, you need to configure the firmware settings using the
'env' and 'NIOT' commands. The settings you want to
look for are:
- Network PReP-Boot Mode Enable [Y/N] = Y? Y
- BOOTP/RARP Request Control: Always/When-Needed (A/W)=A?
My complete settings can be found here.
Once the correct settings have been entered, simply type the
NBO command to initiate the boot process. There are several
'env' options for autostarting the board. Consult the PPCBug
- The VME windows should best be switched off to avoid conflicts during
early boot. The VME windows are not used by the BSP since it now uses its
own VME setup. The vme Universe chip is fully supported. (This is maybe
different from what older README files for this BSP recommend.)
- The BSP has been patched to enable certain RTEMS/GeSys features to
allow for supporting EPICS' 'devLib' on this BSP (address
probing and VME).
- Contrary to what some console output lines might suggest, there is
currently no way to pass a commandline (other than the BOOTP option 129)
to the kernel.
- Booting RTEMS/GeSys using a vxBootrom is not supported.
- Motorola docs for the board
and firmware (part 1
- Back to top.