ESD Software Engineering
Channel Watcher: Software DistributionThis is the SLAC ESD page to get the Channel Watcher software. The Channel Watcher replaces the save part of EPICS save/restore (bumpless reboot) with a channel access client task. For a full description of the purpose, features, and usage of the Channel Watcher look here. The current version of Channel Watcher writes restore files which may have a different format than the one at your site. You may first wish to inspect the restore software provided in the table below. Please direct questions to Mike Zelazny.
Links to past EPICS meeting presentations:
Channel Watcher, Nov 2002 (ppt)
Channel Watcher and ALH, May 2002 (pdf), (ppt)
Channel Watcher, Nov 2001 (pdf), (ppt)
Tim Mooney's autoSaveRestore distribution
Where to find it
You can download the software via ftp from SLAC from the link below:
Module Version Release Date EPICS Release Channel Watcher Filename IOC Restore Filename V2.02 February 6, 2003 R3.13.x ChannelWatcher.tar.gz restore.tar.gz
- Sun Microsystems UNIX with SunOS 5.8 and SUNWspro C++ compiler with CMLOG version 2.1. Linked to EPICS base R3.13.2 and R3.13.6 built with gcc.
- Red Hat Linux Release 7.1, except for CMLOG plug-in.
Site Installation and Building
- Download the Channel Watcher file to your host file system and unpack it under an already existing EPICS extensions/src area.
- In your EPICS R3.13.x base/src/dbStatic directory, change alarmString.h as specified here and rebuild to install the changed alarmString.h into base/include.
- Edit extensions/src/ChannelWatcher/Makefile.Host to choose your Channel Watcher message destination. If you choose to log your messages to CMLOG, CMLOG: Common Message Logging System at JLAB provides software distribution and usage instructions. Note that since both ChannelWatcher and CMLOG are C++, you must use the same compiler for both.
- If you are using CMLOG and "CMLOG_LIB" and "CMLOG_INC" (the location of the installed CMLOG libraries and include files, respectively) are not defined in a config file (CONFIG_EXTENSIONS or a CONFIG_SITE file) used in building your extensions, either add them to the proper config file or edit extensions/src/ChannelWatcher/Makefile.cmlog to define them.
Owner: Mike Zelazny
ESD Software Engineering | SLAC Computing | SLAC Detailed Home
EPICS at SLAC | PEPII Controls | NLC Dev Controls
Last modified: February 6th, 2003