SOB degasing pump problem
(experts Matt McCulloch and Jerry Va'vra)
Note: a recipe to restart the SOB circulating pump is available here.
The pump degasing the water going to the SOB is not
This problem is not critical for the SOB water quality.
Therefore, our response should depend on when the problem occurs. In any case,
fixing it is not really urgent and it should not interfere with data taking.
- During week day time (6 am - 3 pm), Matt MacCulloch (or Jerry Va'Vra if
Matt is not around) should be paged: there is no need to try to fix the problem
before he comes in IR2.
- Outside this range, you should try to resurrect the pump by following the
guidance below step by step. if you're not successful, you should e-mail
Matt and Jerry to let them know about the problem. Then, depending on the time
it is (use your common sense!), you should page Matt either immediately or the
following morning (not too early if that's the weekend...). Make sure you're in
IR2 when Matt gets paged to discuss with him.
Go to the DIRC water plant. First, check the following points :
- The power button is in the ON position, the "power" light (green) and "run" light (orange) are ON as well
- The "Vacuum Pump" switch is set to manual
- Check directly the degasing pump (on the ground below the panel): if it is working it should be noisy and you can feel vibrations when you touch it.
Here is the procedure to restart the degasing pump (from Matt McCulloch, x3288, pager 650-849-9626).
Please follow all steps with caution to avoid further problems and possible safety violations... Thank you!
Please note that if the GFCI outlet will not reset (or trips) at any point in the restart procedure, NO SECOND ATTEMPT SHOULD BE MADE! Further investigations should be let to experts...
Last modified: Tue Feb 7 23:25:08 PST 2006
- Put the "Vacuum Pump" switch on OFF position.
- Turn the power OFF using the "power disconnect" switch.
- Unplug all the power cords at the outlet #2PB620-01 BR-38.The power cords include 1 cord for the pump control, 1 cord for the leak detector (normally off), and 1 cord for the pump fan ( unswitched).
- Check to see if the outlet tripped. If so, reset the trip by pushing the largest button.
- Plug all the power cables in one at a time to outlet (2PB620-1 BR-38).
- Turn the power ON using the "Power Disconnect" switch.
- Put the "Vacuum Pump" switch to the MANUAL position.
- The degasing pump should be running now. IF NOT, TURN THE "VACUUM PUMP" SWITCH TO OFF POSITION: THIS PROBLEM SHOULD BE ADRESSED BY WATER PLANT EXPERTS AND/OR SLAC ELECTRICIANS.
Web Page created on Summer 2005 by Nicolas (thanks Matt!)